Habitat and Ecology
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
In common with many species of marine mollusc of restricted range they may be at risk from over-gathering for specimen shells and by visiting tourists.
Reeve's type description reads as follows:
The Doubtful Cone. Shell turbinated, smooth, ridged towards the base, rather obsoletely engraved with very fine, festooned, longitudinal lines; white, palely stained with light brown; spire obtusely convex, slightly canaliculated, ornamented with arched brownish spots; apex raised and pointed.
The height of the shell is 1.5 inches (38 mm).
The type locality was not specified by Reeve.
- Reeve L. A. (February 1844) Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals. London, 1:f. 244. Plate 54, figure 244.
- Kiener L. C. (1845) Iconogrraphie t. 63, figure 2.
- Conus ambiguus Reeve, 1844. Retrieved through: World Register of Marine Species on 20 March 2010.
- Tryon G. W. (1884). Manual of Conchology, structural and systematic, with illustrations of the species. Volume 6. Conidae, Pleurotomidae. page 13. Plate 3, figure 41-42.
- "Conus ambiguus Reeve, 1844". The Conus Biodiversity website, accessed 20 March 2010.