This subfamily has traditionally been viewed as belonging to the "Limenitidinae" s. l., which has been shown to be polyphyletic (Brower 2000, Wahlberg et al. 2003, Freitas & Brown 2004). Most of the species of Biblidinae are neotropical, but there are some Old World representatives in Biblidini and Epicaliini.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:1718
Specimens with Barcodes:1502
Species With Barcodes:202
Biblidinae is the name for a subfamily of nymphalid butterflies that includes the tropical brushfoots. This subfamily was sometimes merged within the Limenitidinae, but they are now recognized as quite distinct lineages. In older literature, this subfamily is sometimes called Eurytelinae.
As of 2008, some 340 valid species are in this subfamily, placed in 38[verification needed] genera. Most species of Biblidinae are neotropical, but some Old World species and genera are in Biblidini and Epicaliini.
The Biblidinae are a taxonomically stable monophyletic group, at least since the "wastebin genus" Catagramma was dismantled around 1950. Six tribes are recognized, and the monophyly of them all is likewise well supported; radical changes in taxonomy and systematics are not expected in this subfamily. The sister group to the Biblidinae is probably the Apaturinae and/or Nymphalinae.
The tribes, in the presumed phylogenetic sequence and with notable genera and some species also listed here, are:
Biblidini Boisduval, 1833
- Biblis Fabricius, 1807 (= Zonaga)
- Ariadne Horsfield, 1829 (= Ergolis)
- Laringa Moore, 1901
- Eurytela Boisduval, 1833
- Neptidopsis Aurivillius, 1898
- Mesoxantha Aurivillius, 1898
- Byblia Hübner, 1819 (= Hypanis Boisduval, 1833 (non Pander in Menetries, 1832: preoccupied))
- Mestra Hübner, 1825 (= Cystineura)
- Archimestra Munroe, 1949
- Vila Kirby, 1871 (= Lonia, Neptis Hübner, 1819 (non Fabricius, 1807: preoccupied), Olina Doubleday, 1848 (non Robineau-Desvoidy, 1830: preoccupied))
Epicaliini Guenée, 1865
- Catonephele Hübner, 
- Nessaea Hübner, 
- Myscelia Doubleday, 1844 (= Sagaritis Hübner, 1821 (non Billberg, 1820: preoccupied), Sea)
- Sevenia Koçak, 1996 (= Crenis Boisduval, 1833 (non Hübner, 1821: preoccupied), Sallya Hemming, 1964 (non Yochelson, 1956: preoccupied))
- Eunica Hübner, 
- Cybdelis Boisduval, 1836
Ageroniini Doubleday, 1847
- Hamadryas – cracker butterflies, calico butterflies
- Ectima Doubleday, 1848
- Panacea Godman & Salvin, 1883 (= Pandora Doubleday, 1848 (non Lamarck, 1799: preoccupied))
- Batesia Felder & Felder, 1862
Epiphilini Jenkins, 1987
- Asterope Hübner, 
- Pyrrhogyra Hübner, 1819 (= Corybas)
- Epiphile Doubleday, 1844
- Lucinia Hübner, 1823 (= Autodea)
- Bolboneura Godman & Salvin, 1877
- Temenis Hübner, 1819 (= Callicorina, Paromia Hewitson, 1861 (non Westwood, 1851: preoccupied))
- Nica Hübner, 1826 (= Pseudonica)
- Peria Kirby, 1871 (= Pelia Doubleday, 1849 (non Bell, 1836: preoccupied))
Eubagini Burmeister, 1878
- Dynamine Hübner, 1819 (= Arisba, Eubagis, Sironia)
Callicorini Orfila, 1952 – eighty-eights and relatives
- Diaethria Billberg, 1820
- Callicore Hübner, 
- Perisama Doubleday, 1849 (= Orophila)
- Antigonis Felder, 1861 (= Lincoya)
- Haematera Doubleday, 1849 (= Callidula)
- Paulogramma Dillon, 1948
- Catacore Dillon, 1948
- Hill, R. I., Penz, C. M., & DeVries, P. J. (2002). Phylogenetic analysis and review of Panacea and Batesia butterflies (Nymphalidae). Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society, 56, 199-215.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1983). Neotropical Nymphalidae. I. Revision of Hamadryas. Bulletin of the Allyn Museum, 81, 1-146.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1984). Neotropical Nymphalidae. II. Revision of Myscelia. Bull. Allyn Mus. (Gainesville), 87, 1-64.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1985). Neotropical Nymphalidae. III. Revision of Catonephele. Bulletin of the Allyn Museum of Entomology, 92, 1-65.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1985). Neotropical Nymphalidae. IV. Revision of Ectima. Bull. Allyn Mus. (Gainesville), 95, 1-30.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1986). Neotropical Nymphalidae. V. Revision of Epiphile. Bull. Allyn Mus. (Gainesville), 101, 1-70.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1987). Neotropical Nymphalidae. VI. Revision of Asterope (=Callithea Auct.). Bulletin of the Allyn Museum of Entomology, 114, 1-66.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1989). Neotropical Nymphalidae. VII. Revision of Nessaea. Bull. Allyn Mus. (Gainesville), 125, 1-38.
- Jenkins, D. W. (1990). Neotropical Nymphalidae. VIII. Revision of Eunica. Bulletin of the Allyn Museum, 131, 1-177.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!