Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||1||Public Records:||1|
|Specimens with Sequences:||1||Public Species:||1|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||1||Public BINs:||0|
|Species With Barcodes:||1|
Caliphruria is a genus of herbaceous, perennial and bulbous plants in the Amaryllis family (Amaryllidaceae, subfamily Amaryllidoideae). It consists of four species distributed in tropical regions of South America, three of them are endemic to Colombia. This genus is closely related with the genera Eucharis and Urceolina, all of them known as "Amazon Lilies". The species of Caliphruria are infrequent in nature.
Members of Caliphruria have petiolate leaves with a distinctive cuticular striation and white flowers with the shape of a funnel. The six tepals are fused at their bases forming a straight perianth tube and the six stamens of the androecium are more or less fused developing an "staminal cup". Seeds are turgid, with a lustrous, usually black, testa.
- Caliphruria hartwegiana Herb., distributed in North West Colombia.
- Caliphruria korsakoffii (Traub) Meerow, from North Central Peru. (syn.: Eucharis korsakoffii Traub.)
- Caliphruria subedentata Baker, from North West Colombia.
- Caliphruria tenera Baker, from Colombia (Cundinamarca).
Distribution and habitat
The genus is restricted in distribution to the Cordillera Occidental and Cordillera Central of Colombia. The species of Caliphruria are rain forest geophytes adapted to the low light conditions of the forest understory.
Many of the species of the genus are endangered. Caliphruria korsakoffii, from Peru, is very infrequent; Caliphruria hartwegiana and Caliphruria subedentata are threatened by extinction; and Caliphruria tenera is considered to be extinct.
- ^ Edwards's Bot. Reg. 30: 87 (1844).
- ^ Stevens, P.F. (2001 onwards), Angiosperm Phylogeny Website: Asparagales: Amaryllidoideae, http://www.mobot.org/mobot/research/apweb/orders/asparagalesweb.htm#AllAma
- ^ Meerow, Alan W. 1989. Systematics of the Amazon Lilies, Eucharis and Caliphruria (Amaryllidaceae). Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, Vol. 76, No. 1 (1989), pp. 136-220
- ^ Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew. World Checklist of Monocotyledons: Caliphruria. Accessed May 16 2009.
- ^ Edwards's Bot. Reg. 30(Misc.): 87 (1844).
- ^ Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 76: 217 (1989).
- ^ Bot. Mag. 103: t. 6289 (1877).
- ^ Handb. Amaryll.: 112 (1888).
- ^ Walter, K.S. and Gillett, H.J. [eds] (1998). 1997 IUCN Red List of Threatened Plants
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!