Chromodoris lochi is a colorful species of sea slug. This marine gastropod mollusk is blue or blueish-white with three dark longitudal lines running down the body. Like most nudibranches, it feeds on sponges.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Chromodoris lochi
No available public DNA sequences.
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Chromodoris lochi
Public Records: 3
Specimens with Barcodes: 3
Species With Barcodes: 1
Chromodoris lochi is blue or blueish-white with a white margin and typically dark or black lines running down the mantle and the foot. On the mantle, a continuous line runs around the border passing on the outside of the rhinophore and a second median one can be discontinuous.
Individuals can reach at least 4 cm in length.
This species is very similar in appearance to Chromodoris willani, Chromodoris boucheti and Chromodoris dianae and can be difficult to tell apart. Its most distinguishing feature is the uniform coloring of the mantle and the lack of white specks which are present in some of the other species.
A pair of Chromodoris lochi in Puerto Galera, the Philippines
Chromodoris lochi, like many other nudibranchs, feeds on sponges.
- Rudman W. B. (1982) "The Chromodorididae (Opisthobranchia: Mollusca) of the Indo-West Pacific: Chromodoris quadricolor, C. lineolata and Hypselodoris nigrolineata colour groups". Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 76(3): 183-241. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.1982.tb02182.x
-  Chromodoris lochi Rudman, 1982. Sea Slug Forum, accessed 14 october 2013.
- Debelius, Helmut, 2001, Nudibranchs and Sea Snails: Indo-Pacific Field Guide, IKAN - Unterwasserarchiv, Frankfurt, Germany.
- P.L.Beesley,G.J.B. Ross,A.Wells,Mollusca-The southern synthesis, vol.5, CSIRO, 1998,ISBN 0-643-05756-0
- David Behrens, Nudibranch behaviour, Newworld Publication INC., 2005, ISBN 978-1878348418
- Gary Cobb & Richard Willan, Undersea jewels- a colour guide to nudibranchs, Australian Biological Resources Study, 2006, ISBN 0642568472
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!