Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:36
Specimens with Barcodes:21
Species With Barcodes:9
Ranitomeya is a genus of dart poison frogs. In 2006 Grant et al. revised the systematics of dart poison frogs and placed many species formerly classified in the genus Dendrobates, Minyobates and Phyllobates in Ranitomeya. In 2011 Brown et al. following other scientists, who assumed the existence of two distinct clades in Ranitomeya, erected the genus Andinobates for 12 species of Ranitomeya.
Ranitomeya and Andinobates frogs can be distinguished from those in genera such as Dendrobates in that they are generally smaller, have more than two colors, and seem to glitter if viewed from certain angles. Ranitomeya is widespread in the Amazon basin, whereas Andinobates species are found only in the northern Andes down to Central America.
Primarily, Ranitomeya has absorbed nearly all of the species in the genus Dendrobates. In 2011 Brown et al. erected the genus Andinobates containing 12 species formerly classified in the genus Ranitomeya.
- Ranitomeya amazonica (Schulte, 1999)
- Ranitomeya benedicta (Brown, Twomey, Pepper, and Sanchez-Rodriguez, 2008)
- Ranitomeya biolat (Morales, 1992)
- Ranitomeya cyanovittata (Pérez-Peña, Chávez, Twomey, and Brown, 2010)
- Ranitomeya defleri (Twomey and Brown, 2009)
- Ranitomeya duellmani (Schulte, 1999)
- Ranitomeya fantastica (Boulenger, 1884)
- Ranitomeya flavovittata (Schulte, 1999)
- Ranitomeya ignea (Melin, 1941)
- Ranitomeya imitator (Schulte, 1986)
- Ranitomeya intermedia (Schulte, 1999)
- Ranitomeya lamasi (Morales, 1992)
- Ranitomeya reticulata (Boulenger, 1884)
- Ranitomeya rubrocephala (Schulte, 1999)
- Ranitomeya sirensis (Aichinger, 1991)
- Ranitomeya summersi (Brown, Twomey, Pepper, and Sanchez-Rodriguez, 2008)
- Ranitomeya uakarii (Brown, Schulte, and Summers, 2006)
- Ranitomeya vanzolinii (Myers, 1982)
- Ranitomeya variabilis (Zimmermann and Zimmermann, 1988)
- Ranitomeya ventrimaculata (Shreve, 1935)
- Ranitomeya yavaricola (Pérez-Peña, Chávez, Twomey, and Brown, 2010)
- Grant, T., D. R. Frost, J. P. Caldwell, R. Gagliardo, C. F. B. Haddad, P. J. R. Kok, D. B. Means, B. P. Noonan, W. E. Schargel, and W. C. Wheeler (2006). "Phylogenetic systematics of dart-poison frogs and their relatives (Amphibia: Athesphatanura: Dendrobatidae)." Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 299: 1-262
- Brown, J.L., et al. (2011). A taxonomic revision of the Neotropical frog genus Ranitomeya (Amphibia: Dendrobatidae). Zootaxa 3083: 1-120
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ranitomeya|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Ranitomeya|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!