Data about Pantherinae
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
|Crimson Tragopan, Satyr Tragop||GloBI|
||The Paleobiology Database|
Glossary for Pantherinae
- Age at eye opening
- Age at which both eyes are fully open after birth.
- Kate E. Jones, Jon Bielby, Marcel Cardillo, Susanne A. Fritz, Justin O'Dell, C. David L. Orme, Kamran Safi, Wes Sechrest, Elizabeth H. Boakes, Chris Carbone, Christina Connolly, Michael J. Cutts, Janine K. Foster, Richard Grenyer, Michael Habib, Christopher A. Plaster, Samantha A. Price, Elizabeth A. Rigby, Janna Rist, Amber Teacher, Olaf R. P. Bininda-Emonds, John L. Gittleman, Georgina M. Mace, and Andy Purvis. 2009. PanTHERIA: a species-level database of life history, ecology, and geography of extant and recently extinct mammals. Ecology 90:2648. http://esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E090/184/
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- Dispersal age
- Age at which young permanently leave the parent, parental group, social group or any associated territories.
- A taxon is Extinct when there is no reasonable doubt that the last individual has died. A taxon is presumed Extinct when exhaustive surveys in known and/or expected habitat, at appropriate times (diurnal, seasonal, annual), throughout its historic range have failed to record an individual. Surveys should be over a time frame appropriate to the taxon’s life cycle and life form.
- Extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- Interacts with
- an organism has an effect on another organism in the community.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Age at first birth||2.87 to 3.33 years||3||3|
|Onset of fertility||2.0 to 4.17 years||18||6|
|Dispersal age||1.56 to 2.96 years||4||4|
|Body length (VT)||51.65 cm to 1.84 m||7||7|
|Inter-birth interval||1.0 to 2.25 years||10||5|
|Total life span||17.0 to 30.0 years||6||6|
|Gestation period duration||93.44 to 108.74 days||6||6|
|Weight||85.0 g to 175.0 kg||20||7|
|Body mass||84.99 g to 161.92 kg||19||7|
|Weaning age||77.0 to 216.0 days||12||6|
|Total life span||19.8 to 28.0 years||6||6|
|Age at eye opening||3.0 to 9.25 days||6||6|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||1.96 to 3.0||14||7|
|Litters per year||1.0 to 2.0||5||5|
|Litters per year||0.4 to 1.25 per year||5||5|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!