Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:49
Specimens with Barcodes:39
Species With Barcodes:10
The Blissidae are a family in the Hemiptera (true bugs), comprising nearly 50 genera and 400 species. The group has often been treated as a subfamily of the Lygaeidae, but was resurrected as a full family by Thomas Henry (1997). The adult insects are elongate, typically 4 times as long as broad and in some species 6 or even 7 times. Short-winged forms are common in many species. All the species feed on the sap (rather than the seeds) of plants, mostly grasses, and the most of the species live between the sheaths of leaves. The most economically important species is the North American Chinch Bug Blissus leucopterus, a destructive pest of maize crops in the USA.
List of Genera
From Slater (1979) except where noted:
- Toonglasa (syn. Extarademus)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blissidae.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Blissidae|
- Stål, C. (1862). "Synopsis Coreidum et Lygaeidum Sueciae". Öfversigt af Kongliga Vetenskaps-Akademiens Förhandlingar 19. p. 212.
- Slater, J.A. (1979). "The systematics, phylogeny, and zoogeography of the Blissinae of the world (Hemiptera, Lygaeidae)". Bulletin of the AMNH 165 (1): 1–180.
- Henry, T.J. (1997). "Phylogenetic analysis of family groups within the infraorder Pentatomomorpha (Hemiptera: Heteroptera), with emphasis on the Lygaeoidea". Annals of the Entomological Society of America 90: 275–301. doi:10.1093/aesa/90.3.275.
- Slater, J.A. (1986). "Aulacoblissus, a New Genus of Micropterous Blissinae from Venezuela (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae)". Florida Entomologist 69 (4): 661–665. doi:10.2307/3495210.
- Štys, P. (1991). "First apterous genus and species of Lygaeidae: Blissinae (Heteroptera)". Acta Entomologica Bohemoslovaca 88 (3-4): 265–271.
- Brailovsky, H.; Barrera, E. (2012). "A remarkable new Micropterous Blissidae (Hemiptera, Heteroptera, Lygaeoidea) from South America". Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift 59 (1): 43–45.
- Slater, J.A.; Brailovsky, H. (1983). "Review of the Neotropical Genus Toonglasa (Hemiptera, Lygaeidae)". Annals of the Entomological Society of America 76 (3): 523–535. doi:10.1093/aesa/76.3.523.
|This Heteroptera article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!