[[ Genus Acestridium ]]
The Neotropical catfish genus Acestridium (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) is currently represented by three species with general distributions in the middle and upper Orinoco, Casiquiare, and Rio Negro basins of Venezuela and Brazil (Retzer et al., 1999). Recently, a previously unknown collection of Acestridium was discovered at the Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Further examination of these specimens in a single lot revealed the specimens to represent an undescribed species and the first record of Acestridium in Colombia.
- Michael E. Retzer (2005): Description of a new species of Acestridium (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from Colombia. Zootaxa 972, 1-6: 1-1, URL:http://www.zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:6CADD309-4039-4509-A240-825A33525637
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||4||Public Records:||4|
|Specimens with Sequences:||4||Public Species:||3|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||4||Public BINs:||3|
|Species With Barcodes:||3|
Acestridium is a genus of freshwater fish in the family Loricariidae of order Siluriformes. The type species is Acestridium discus. The genus name is derived from Latinised Greek 'agkistron' meaning hook.
Members of this genus typically are long and thin, or 'twiglike' and superficially resemble the genus Farlowella of the same family. Adult length is 5–7 cm and each species shows adaptation for camouflage in the water margins - bright green leaf like in Acestridium dichromum and varigated brown in other species.
There are currently seven recognized species in this genus:
- Acestridium colombiensis Retzer, 2005
- Acestridium dichromum Retzer, Nico & Provenzano, 1999
- Acestridium discus Haseman, 1911
- Acestridium gymnogaster R. E. dos Reis & Lehmann A., 2009
- Acestridium martini Retzer, Nico & Provenzano, 1999
- Acestridium scutatum R. E. dos Reis & Lehmann A., 2009
- Acestridium triplax M. S. Rodriguez & R. E. dos Reis, 2007
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). Species of Acestridium in FishBase. December 2011 version.
- Retzer, Michael E. (2005). "Description of a new species of Acestridium (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from Colombia" (PDF). Zootaxa 972: 1–6. http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2005f/zt00972.pdf. Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- M. F. Catarino, A. L. Val (PDF). Abundance and distribution of fish in litter banks of the Amazon. http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/congress/2000/Papers/extremepdf/catarino.pdf. Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- "Loricariidae :: Acestridium dichromum". http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/acestrid/765_F.PHP.
- "Acestridium discus picture". http://fishbase.ith.sinica.edu.tw/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?ID=50557&what=species.
|This Loricariidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!