Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||3||Public Records:||3|
|Specimens with Sequences:||3||Public Species:||1|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||3||Public BINs:||2|
|Species With Barcodes:||1|
In a 2007 checklist of sisorid and erethistid catfishes, Thomson lists E. stuarti and E. vinciguerrae as valid species. In a 2007 checklist of catfishes, Ferraris lists these two species as species inquerendae, noting that these species are either treated as valid or as synonyms of E. labiatum.
There are currently five recognized species in this genus: 
- Exostoma barakensis Vishwanath & Joyshree, 2007
- Exostoma berdmorei Blyth, 1860
- Exostoma labiatum (McClelland, 1842) (Burmese bat catfish)
- Exostoma stuarti (Hora, 1923)
- Exostoma vinciguerrae Regan, 1905
Distribution and habitat
Exostoma species are distributed in the Brahmaputra drainage of northeast India, and east and south to the Salween drainages in Burma. E. berdmorei is found in the Sittang and Salween drainages in Burma. E. labiatum is known from the Brahmaputra drainage in northeast India, but has also been recorded in the Salween drainage in Burma, the Ayeyarwady drainage in China, and the Brahmaputra drainage in Tibet and Burma. E. stuarti is from the Ayeyarwady River of Burma and India; however, it has not been collected since its original discovery.
Exostoma is distinguished by having a continuous groove behind the lips (post-labial groove), the gill openings not extending onto the underside (venter), homodont dentition of oar-shaped, distally flattened teeth in both jaws, the tooth patches separated in upper jaw, and 10–11 branched pectoral rays. The head is depressed with a broadly rounded snout. The body is elongate and flattened ventrally to the pelvic fins. The eyes are minute, dorsally located, and under the skin (subcutaenous). The lips are thick, fleshy, and papillated. The teeth are small to large, moveable, oar-shaped, flattened distally and directed posteriorly in distinct patches.
- Thomson, Alfred W.; Page, Lawrence M. (2006). "Genera of the Asian Catfish Families Sisoridae and Erethistidae (Teleostei: Siluriformes)" (PDF). Zootaxa 1345: 1–96.
- Ferraris, Carl J., Jr. (2007). "Checklist of catfishes, recent and fossil (Osteichthyes: Siluriformes), and catalogue of siluriform primary types" (PDF). Zootaxa 1418: 1–628.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2012). Species of Exostoma in FishBase. February 2012 version.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2007). "Exostoma labiatum" in FishBase. July 2007 version.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2007). "Exostoma stuarti" in FishBase. July 2007 version.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2007). "Exostoma berdmorei" in FishBase. July 2007 version.