The family Abyssochrysidae was previously placed in the "Zygopleuroid group" (according to the taxonomy of the Gastropoda by Bouchet & Rocroi, 2005). This family has no subfamilies (according to the taxonomy of the Gastropoda by Bouchet & Rocroi, 2005).
In 2008, the sister group Provannidae was moved into the superfamily Abyssochrysoidea Tomlin, 1927 by Kain et al. and the family Abyssochrysidae was also moved into the superfamily Abyssochrysoidea.
Genera within this family include:
- Abyssochrysos Tomlin, 1927 - the type genus of the family
- Humptulipsia Kiel, 2008
- Kaim A., Jenkins R. G. & Warén A. (2008). "Provannid and provannid−like gastropods from Late Cretaceous cold seeps of Hokkaido (Japan) and the fossil record of the Provannidae (Gastropoda: Abyssochrysoidea)". Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 154(3): 421-436. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.2008.00431.x.
- WoRMS (2009). Abyssochrysidae. In: Bouchet, P.; Gofas, S.; Rosenberg, G. (2009) World Marine Mollusca database. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=345309 on 2010-05-04
- Tomlin J. R. le B. (1927). "Reports on the Marine Mollusca in the Collections of the South African Museum, II: Families Abyssochrysidae, Oocorythidae, Haliotidae, Tonnidae". Annals of the South African Museum 25(1): 77-83, 4 figures. page 77.
- Kiel S. (2008). "An unusual new gastropod from an Eocene hydrocarbon seep in Washington state". Journal of Paleontology 82(1): 188-191. doi:10.1666/06-029.1 HTM
- Goedert J. L. & Kaler K. L. (1996). "A new species of Abyssochrysos (Gastropoda: Loxonematoidea) from a Middle Eocene Cold Seep Carbonate in the Humptulips Formation, Western Washington". Veliger 39: 65-70.
- Houbrick R. S. (1979). "Classification and systematic relationships of the Abyssochrysidae, a relict family of bathyal snails". Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology 290: 1-21.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!