The fig shells, a small group of relatively large marine snails, make up the small family Ficidae (Gastropoda), which is comprised of two genera. Genus Ficus has 10 species, found from the intertidal to depths up to 1000m (3000 feet) in warm and temperate waters around the world; the less common genus Thalassocyon inhabits the Southern Hemisphere, found only in deep waters (up to 3000 m; 10,000 feet) off the coast of South Africa, New Zealand, and Amsterdam Island. Thalassocyon includes between 1-3 species, for which the synonymy is unclear (Warén and Bouchet 1990 and Riedel 2000, as cited in Vos 2013). The two genera have been revised as sister taxa in family Ficidae based of shared radula shape and the ridge (keel) along the edge of their body whorl; Thalassocyon was originally classified into gastropod family Cymatiidae.
(Beu 1969; Neo 2010; Vos 2013)
- Beu, A. G. 1969. The gastropod genus Thalassocyon Barnard, 1960. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 3(3): 445-452. DOI:10.1080/00288330.1969.9515309. Available online at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288330.1969.9515309.
- Neo, M.L. 2010. The taxonomic status of fig shells, with notes on Ficus variegata (Roding, 1798)(Mollusca: Gastropoda: Ficoidea: Ficidae). Nature in Singapore 3: 117-123. Retrieved online from http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/nis/bulletin2010/2010nis117-123.pdf.
- Vos, C. (2013). Thalassocyon tui Dell, 1967. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=447829 on 2013-10-21.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||21||Public Records:||14|
|Specimens with Sequences:||14||Public Species:||3|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||14||Public BINs:||6|
|Species With Barcodes:||3|
According to taxonomy of the Gastropoda by Bouchet & Rocroi (2005) the family Ficidae has no subfamilies.
Genera within the family Ficidae include:
- Ficus Röding, 1798
- † Austroficopsis Stilwell & Zinsmeister, 1992
- † Ficopsis Conrad, 1866
- † Fusoficula
- † Gonysycon
- Thalassocyon Barnard, 1960
- Genera brought into synonymy
- Ficula Swainson, 1835 : synonym of Ficus Röding, 1798
- Pirula Montfort, 1810 : synonym of Ficus Röding, 1798
- Pyrula Lamarck, 1799 : synonym of Ficus Röding, 1798
- Sycotypus Gray, 1847 : synonym of Ficus Röding, 1798
- Keen, A.Myra 1958; Sea Shells of Tropical West America, Stanford University Press.
- Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer 1952; Invertebrate Fossils, McGraw-Hill Book.
- WoRMS (2009). Ficus Röding, 1798. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=205605 on 2010-05-20
- "Austroficopsis". The Paleobiology Database, accessed 20 May 2010.
- "Ficopsis". The Paleobiology Database, accessed 20 May 2010.
- "Fusoficula". The Paleobiology Database, accessed 20 May 2010.
- "Gonysycon". The Paleobiology Database, accessed 20 May 2010.
- WoRMS (2010). Thalassocyon Barnard, 1960. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=447827 on 2010-05-20
- Powell A. W. B., New Zealand Mollusca, William Collins Publishers Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand 1979 ISBN 0-00-216906-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ficidae|