Tryonicidae is a family of cockroaches.
Biodiversity and distribution[edit source | edit]
- 17 valid species, in 2 genera, are currently confirmed as belonging to this family.
Table 1: Number of species of Tryonicidae in each region in which it is present (A=adventive, E=endemic, I=indigenous)
|Australia||New Caledonia||New Zealand|
Notes[edit source | edit]
- Beccaloni & Eggleton's (2011) figures of '10 genera, 47 species' presumably doesn't take into account Murienne's (2009) publication (they certainly don't cite it)
- According to Murienne (2009: 49), the tribe Methanini certainly belongs to Blattidae: Polyzosteriinae, as probably does the group of New Caledonian endemic genera Angustonicus, Pallidionicus, Pellucidonicus, Punctulonicus and Rothisilpha
- There is a published report of an unidentified endemic "tryonicine" from New Zealand, in addition to the adventive Tryonicus parvus, but details are too sketchy at present to accept this record, until further confirmation is forthcoming
References[edit source | edit]
- Murienne, J. 2009: Molecular data confirm family status for the Tryonicus–Lauraesilpha group (Insecta: Blattodea: Tryonicidae). Organisms diversity & evolution, 9(1): 44-51. doi:10.1016/j.ode.2008.10.005
- Murienne, J.; Pellens, R.; Grandcolas, P. 2008: Short-range endemism in New Caledonian insects: new species and distribution in the genus Lauraesilpha Grandcolas, 1997 (Insecta, Dictyoptera, Blattidae, Tryonicinae). Pp. 261-271 in: Grandcolas, P. (ed.), Zoologia Neocaledonica 6. Biodiversity studies in New Caledonia. Mémoires du Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle, (197) PDF
- Australian Faunal Directory
- Roth, L.M. 1987: The genus Tryonicus Shaw from Australia and New Caledonia (Dictyoptera: Blattaria: Blattidae: Tryonicinae). Memoirs of the Queensland Museum, 25(1): 151-167.
- NZOR (Web Service Demonstrator)
- Beccaloni, G.W.; Eggleton, P. 2011: Order Blattodea Brunner von Wattenwyl, 1882. Zootaxa, 3148: 199-200. PDF
- Macfarlane, R.P. et al. 2010: Phylum Arthropoda subphylum Hexapoda: Protura, springtails, Diplura, and insects. Pp. 233-467 in: Gordon, D.P. (ed.) 2010: New Zealand inventory of biodiversity. Volume 2. Kingdom Animalia. Chaetognatha, Ecdysozoa, ichnofossils. Canterbury University Press, Christchurch, New Zealand. ISBN 978-1-87725793-3 PDF [see pp. 254, 399]
Further reading[edit source | edit]
- Klass, K.-D.; Meier, R. 2006: A phylogenetic analysis of Dictyoptera (Insecta) based on morphological characters. Entomologische Abhandlungen, 63(1-2): 3-50. PDF
- McKittrick, F.A.; Mackerras, M.J. 1965: Phyletic relationships within the Blattidae. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 58(2): 224-230. abstract only seen
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!