- IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1994 1994 IUCN red list of threatened animals. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, U.K. (Ref. 6376)
Habitat and Ecology
Life History and Behavior
- Breder, C.M. and D.E. Rosen 1966 Modes of reproduction in fishes. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey. 941 p. (Ref. 205)
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- Needs updating
- 1994Endangered(Groombridge 1994)
The iwame trout or markless trout, Oncorhynchus masou var. iwame, is a variety of salmonid fish inhabiting some fresh waters of Japan. Suspected to be not a real species for some time, it was recently confirmed to be a particular intra-specific morph occurring in some populations of the masu salmon or seema (Oncorhynchus masou). This morph is recessively inherited.
- Kano, Y., Shimizu, Y., Kondou, K. 2006. Sympatric, simultaneous, and random mating between markless trout (iwame; Oncorhynchus iwame) and red-spotted masu salmon (amago; Oncorhynchus masou ishikawae). Zoological Science 23:71-77. doi:10.2108/zsj.23.71
- Kano, Y., Kondou, K., Shimizu, Y. 2009. Present status and conservation of the markless forms of stream-resident masu salmon Oncorhynchus masou (the so-called 'iwame') in Japanese mountain streams. Ichthyological Research 57:78-84 doi:10.1007/s10228-009-0130-1
- Kottelat, M. 1996. Oncorhynchus iwame. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 4 August 2007.
|This Salmonidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|