- Whitehead, P.J.P. 1985 FAO Species Catalogue. Vol. 7. Clupeoid fishes of the world (suborder Clupeioidei). An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the herrings, sardines, pilchards, sprats, shads, anchovies and wolf-herrings. FAO Fish. Synop. 125(7/1):1-303. Rome: FAO. (Ref. 188)
- Nakamura, I., T. Inada, M. Takeda and H. Hatanaka 1986 Important fishes trawled off Patagonia. Japan Marine Fishery Resource Research Center, Tokyo. 369 p. (Ref. 27363)
Catalog Number: USNM 103779
Collection: Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Division of Fishes
Locality: Concepcion, Bahia De Talcahuano, Chile, Chile, Pacific
- FAO-FIGIS 2005 A world overview of species of interest to fisheries. Chapter: Strangomera bentincki. Retrieved on 12 July 2005, from www.fao.org/figis/servlet/species?fid=2913. 2p. FIGIS Species Fact Sheets. Species Identification and Data Programme-SIDP, FAO-FIGIS (Ref. 54915)
Depth range (m): 27 - 27
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
Life History and Behavior
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Clupea bentincki
Public Records: 0
Specimens with Barcodes: 6
Species With Barcodes: 1
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
The Araucanian herring, Clupea bentincki, also known as the Chilean herring, is a fish species in the Clupea genus of the Clupeidae family. It is an epipelagic fish, silvery below and dark blue above, which schools in coastal waters off the west coast of South America. There it filter feeds on smaller plankton such as diatoms. It reaches sexual maturity when it is about 10 centimetres long, and is a pelagic spawner, spawning between June and November.
The Araucanian herring is a commercial species, largely used for fishmeal.Based on the FAO fishery statistics, it was the 12th most important capture fish species in 2009. All reported landings are from Chile.
- "Clupea bentincki". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=615818. Retrieved April 2012.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2012). "Clupea bentincki" in FishBase. April 2012 version.
- Clupea bentincki (Norman, 1936) FAO, Species Fact Sheet. Retrieved April 2012.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) (2011). Yearbook of fishery and aquaculture statistics 2009. Capture production. Rome: FAO. p. 27, 221. ftp://ftp.fao.org/FI/CDrom/CD_yearbook_2009/root/capture/yearbook_capture.pdf.
- Castilla, Juan Carlos (2010). "Fisheries in Chile: small pelagics, management, rights, and sea zoning". Bulletin of Marine Science 86: 221–234. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/download;jsessionid=18xwebl89bhu5.victoria?pub=infobike%3a%2f%2fumrsmas%2fbullmar%2f2010%2f00000086%2f00000002%2fart00006&mimetype=application%2fpdf.
- Gómez-Lobo A, J Peña-Torres J and Barría P (2007) "ITQ's in Chile: measuring the economic benefits of reform" Environmental and Resource. Page 1–42.
- Whitehead PJP, Nelson GJ and Wongratana T (1988) FAO species catalogue, volume 7: Clupeoid Fishes of the World (Suborder Clupeoidei) FAO Fisheries Synopsis 125, Rome. ISBN 92-5-102340-9. Download ZIP (16 MB) Page 130–131.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!