- IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1990 1990 IUCN red list of threatened animals. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, U.K. 288 p. (Ref. 3881) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=3881&speccode=2033
- IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1994 1994 IUCN red list of threatened animals. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, U.K. (Ref. 6376) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=6376&speccode=9781
- Turan, D., M. Kottelat and S. Engin 2010 Two new species of trouts, resident and migratory, sympatric in streams of northern Anatolia (Salmoniformes: Salmonidae). Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 20(4):333-364. (Ref. 85599) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=85599&speccode=66449
Habitat and Ecology
Date Listed: 06/02/1970
Lead Region: Foreign (Region 10)
Where Listed: Entire
Population location: Entire
Listing status: E
For most current information and documents related to the conservation status and management of Salmo platycephalus , see its USFWS Species Profile
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- 1996Critically Endangered
- 1994Indeterminate(Groombridge 1994)
- 1990Endangered(IUCN 1990)
- 1988Endangered(IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1988)
- 1986Endangered(IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1986)
- IUCN 2006 2006 IUCN red list of threatened species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded July 2006. http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=57073
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
- Robins, C.R., R.M. Bailey, C.E. Bond, J.R. Brooker, E.A. Lachner, R.N. Lea and W.B. Scott 1991 World fishes important to North Americans. Exclusive of species from the continental waters of the United States and Canada. Am. Fish. Soc. Spec. Publ. (21):243 p. (Ref. 4537) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=4537&speccode=1255
Salmo platycephalus, known as the flathead trout, Ala balik or the Turkish trout, is a type of trout, a fish in the Salmonidae family. It is endemic to south-eastern Turkey. It is known only from one population, which occupies three streams, tributaries of the Zamantı River in the Seyhan River basin. The population itself is abundant, but subject to threat by habitat loss, since the range is small. Also, predation of juveniles by introduced rainbow trout may cause population decline. The species is classified as critically endangered.
Genetic evidence suggests that the flathead trout may indeed be derived from introduced brown trout (Salmo trutta) and thus not be a distinct species of its own. Nevertheless it is a unique form which requires protection.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2006). "Salmo platycephalus" in FishBase. April 2006 version.
- Tarkan, AN et al. (2008) Threatened fishes of the world: Salmo platycephalus Behnke, 1968 (Salmonidae) Environ. Biol. Fishes 81, 371-372.
- Crivelli, A.J. 2005. Salmo platycephalus. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 1 October 2009.
- Behnke, R.J. 1968. A new subgenus and species of trout, Salmo (Platysalmo) platycephalus, from south-central Turkey, with comments on the classification of the subfamily Salmoninae. Mitt. Hamburg Zool. Mus. Inst. 66: 1–15.
|This Salmonidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|