A. (Chromaphyosemion) bivittatum :
- Paul V. Loiselle (2006): A review of the Malagasy Pachypanchax (Teleostei: Cyprinodontiformes, Aplocheilidae), with descriptions of four new species. Zootaxa 1366, 1-44: 41-41, URL:http://www.zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:D12AF7A9-88CB-46F2-9550-2A97D5E91389
Habitat and Ecology
Diseases and Parasites
- Bassleer, G. 2003 The new ilustrated guide to fish diseases in ornamental tropical and pond fish. Bassleer Biofish, Stationstraat 130, 2235 Westmeerbeek, Belgium, 1st Edition, 232p. (Ref. 48502)
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- IUCN 2006 2006 IUCN red list of threatened species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded July 2006.
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
- Robins, C.R., R.M. Bailey, C.E. Bond, J.R. Brooker, E.A. Lachner, R.N. Lea and W.B. Scott 1991 World fishes important to North Americans. Exclusive of species from the continental waters of the United States and Canada. Am. Fish. Soc. Spec. Publ. (21):243 p. (Ref. 4537)
Aphyosemion bivittatum (Twostripe Lyretail, Two-banded Killi, Red Lyretail) is a species of freshwater fish belonging to the Nothobranchiidae family. It is found in rivers in southeastern Nigeria and southwestern Cameroon.
A. bivittatum has an elongated brightly coloured body with two dark bands running along each side. The males have a maximum body length of approximately 5 cm. It has 10–13 spines in its dorsal fin and 12-15 in its anal fin.
The species is found in small calcium rich steams in the coastal rainforests of southeastern Nigeria and southwestern Cameroon. They are benthopelagic, meaning they float just above the riverbed. They prefer water with a pH of 6 to 6.5 and temperature of 22 to 24oC.
A bivittatum has only been observed in five locations and it is thought that they are present in no more than ten. This, along with the threat to their habitat from deforestation, has led them to be classified as vulnerable.
- Lalèyè, P. & Olaosebikan, B.D. (2010). "Aphyosemion bivittatum". IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Huber, J.H., (1996). "Killi-Data 1996. Updated checklist of taxonomic names, collecting localities and bibliographic references of oviparous Cyprinodont fishes (Atherinomorpha, Pisces)". Société Française d'Ichtyologie, Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle: 399.
- Riehl, R. and H.A. Baensch, (1991). Aquarien Atlas Volume 1. Germany: Melle: Mergus, Verlag für Natur-und Heimtierkunde. p. 992.
- "Aphyosemion bivittatum (Lönnberg, 1895)". Fish Base. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!