Oviparous (Ref. 50449). Eggs have horn-like projections on the shell (Ref. 205).
- McEachran, J.D. and K.A. Dunn 1998 Phylogenetic analysis of skates, a morphologically conservative clade of elasmobranchs (Chondrichthyes: Rajidae). Copeia 1998(2):271-290. (Ref. 27314) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=27314&speccode=10121
Southeast Pacific: Arica to Valdivia in Chile.
- McEachran, J.D. 1982 Revision of the South American skate genus Sympterygia (Elasmobranchii: Rajiformes). Copeia 1982(4):867-890. (Ref. 31268) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=31268&speccode=51635
Southeast Pacific: Endemic to Chile, from Arica (18°S) to Ancud (42°S).
Southeastern Pacific and southwestern Atlantic.
Habitat and Ecology
Habitat and Ecology
Sympterygia lima is endemic to shallow waters of the Chilean coast, at depths of 30 to 60 m. Lamilla et al. (1984) reported a maximum size is 62 cm total length (TL) with size at maturity of 50.5 cm TL (females) and 45 cm TL (males). Size at birth 6.0 cm TL. Oviparous, with eggs in both oviducts in autumn. Feeds on crustaceans, principally Austropandalus grayi and Pseudocorystes sycarius.
Life History and Behavior
Oviparous, paired eggs are laid. Embryos feed solely on yolk (Ref. 50449).
- Breder, C.M. and D.E. Rosen 1966 Modes of reproduction in fishes. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey. 941 p. (Ref. 205) http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=205&speccode=1256
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
Kyne, P.M., Cavanagh, R.D. & Fowler, S.L. (Shark Red List Authority)
Sympterygia lima is a shallow water (30 to 60 m) fanskate endemic to Chile. Maximum size is 62 cm total length (TL). There is only little information available on its biology. It is captured as bycatch in the bottom trawl fisheries of Valdivia, but specific catch data are unavailable. Its narrow depth distribution in shallow water makes this species potentially vulnerable to overexploitation. Insufficient information available to assess the species beyond Data Deficient at present.
Data deficient (DD)
- IUCN 2006 2006 IUCN red list of threatened species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded July 2006. http://www.fishbase.org/references/FBRefSummary.php?id=57073
Captured as bycatch in the bottom trawl fisheries of Valdivia. Not known to be taken in any other fisheries.
- Lamilla, J. 2004. Sympterygia lima. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 3 August 2007.
|This Rajiformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|