A genus from the lowland neotropics of Brazil and the Guiana Shield. As the illustration reveals, some species are strongly sexually dimorphic.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||14||Public Records:||0|
|Specimens with Sequences:||5||Public Species:||0|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||3||Public BINs:||0|
|Species With Barcodes:||0|
Alesa is also a feminine given name meaning "great happiness."
This genus is distinguished by a vast sexual dimorphism receding somewhat only in one species. The body is slender, the head is broad and slanting,with a flat forehead and closely appressed short palpi. The antennae are very long, only slightly thickened at their ends. The abdomen is long, in the male thin, in the female stout, but likewise stretched. The forewings are long with a very oblique distal margin. The hindwings are round, especially in the female. Cells of all the wings closed, the upper radial originates with the 3rd subcostal vein from the same place. Colouring of the females earthy brown, that of the males varying, but with a metallic lustre. 
- Alesa amesis (Cramer, 1777) – Amesis Metalmark present in French Guiana, Ecuador, Guyana, Colombia, Venezuela, Brasil and Peru.
- Alesa fournierae Lathy, 1958 present in Brasil.
- Alesa hemiurga Bates, 1867 – Hemiurga Metalmark present in Brasil.
- Alesa lipara Bates, 1867 – Lipara Metalmark present in Brasil.
- Alesa prema (Godart, ) – Prema Metalmark present in Colombia, Venezuela and Trinidad and Tobago.Male of a magnificent emerald-green, in another light of a deep blue reflection, with black markings. Female similar to A.telephae, larger, the eye-spots of the hindwings and some spots near the base of the forewing with metallic pupils.
- Alesa rothschildi (Seitz, ) present in French Guiana and Guyana.Male above with a black lattice-like marking, with golden green spots, the marginal spots guttiform. Female above black except the distal half of the forewing in which there is a white oblique band, and the margin of the hindwing of a blue gloss.
- Alesa telephae (Boisduval, 1836) – Telephae Metalmark present in French Guiana and Brazil.
- Alesa thelydrias Bates, 1867 present in Brasil.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alesa.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Alesa|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!