Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:448
Specimens with Barcodes:398
Species With Barcodes:38
Description and characteristics
Members of this family are mostly large or medium-sized holothuroids with a squarish cross section, a flat ventral surface and large fleshy cone-shaped projections. Their mouth is surrounded by a twenty of peltate tentacles. They are usually found on soft substrates such as sand or rubble.
List of genera according to the World Register of Marine Species :
- genus Apostichopus Liao, 1980 (8 species, Pacific and USA)
- genus Astichopus Clark, 1922 (1 species, Caribbean)
- genus Australostichopus Levin in Moraes, Norhcote, Kalinin, Avilov, Silchenko & Dmitrenok, 2004 (1 species, New Zeland)
- genus Diploperideris Brandt, 1835 (1 species, nomen dubium)
- genus Eostichopus Cutress & Miller, 1982 (1 species, Caribbean)
- genus Isostichopus Deichmann, 1958 (3 species, USA)
- genus Neostichopus Deichmann, 1948 (1 species, south africa)
- genus Parastichopus Clark, 1922 (2 species, Europe)
- genus Stichopus Brandt, 1835 (13 species, Indo-Pacific)
- genus Thelenota Brandt, 1835 (3 species, Indo-Pacific)
|Wikispecies has information related to: Stichopodidae|
|This echinoderm-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!