Data about Phoca
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
|Bluefishes||Global Biotic Interactions|
|Capelin||Global Biotic Interactions|
|Clupea||Global Biotic Interactions|
|Ray-finned Fishes||Global Biotic Interactions|
Water nitrate concentration min
|0.24 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||12.04 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water temperature min
|0.3 degrees Celsius||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||21.5 degrees Celsius||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water silicate concentration min
|0.99 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||22.66 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water phosphate concentration min
|0.21 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||1.2 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water dissolved O2 concentration min
|5.18 mL/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||8.1 mL/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water O2 saturation max
|108.89 percent||OBIS Environmental Information|
|min||97.81 percent||OBIS Environmental Information|
|Greenland Shark||Global Biotic Interactions|
|Human||Global Biotic Interactions|
|Killer Whale||Global Biotic Interactions|
Water salinity min
|30.38 PSU||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||35.66 PSU||OBIS Environmental Information|
Glossary for Phoca
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A plane angle unit which is equal to 1/360 of a full rotation or 1.7453310^[-2] rad.
- Degrees Celsius
- Dispersal age
- Age at which young permanently leave the parent, parental group, social group or any associated territories.
- Feeds on
- consumes for energetic or other nutritional needs
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- Has predator
- is consumed for energetic or other nutritional needs (by another organism)
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- The geographic latitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are north of the Equator, negative values are south of it. Legal values lie between -90 and 90, inclusive.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- The geographic longitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are east of the Greenwich Meridian, negative values are west of it. Legal values lie between -180 and 180, inclusive.
- Milliliters per liter. A volume per unit volume unit which is equal to one millionth of a liter of solute in one liter of solution.
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- A dimensionless ratio unit which denotes numbers as fractions of 100.
- Practical Salinity Units. The conductivity ratio of a sea water sample to a standard KCl solution. Used to represent salinity.
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Water dissolved O2 concentration
- Dissolved oxygen concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water nitrate concentration
- Dissolved nitrate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water O2 saturation
- The percent oxygen saturation in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water phosphate concentration
- Dissolved phosphate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water salinity
- Dissolved salt concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water silicate concentration
- Dissolved silicate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water temperature
- Temperature of seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
- A unit of molarity which is equal to one millionth of a molar or 10^[-6] mol/L
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Body mass||7.1 to 132.25 kg||13||4|
|Weight||7.1 to 180.0 kg||12||4|
|Onset of fertility||2.87 to 5.1 years||12||4|
|Body length (VT)||77.14 cm to 1.72 m||5||4|
|Age at first birth||2.0 to 3.0 years||2||2|
|Total life span||31.0 to 42.0 years||4||4|
|Inter-birth interval||1.0 to 1.0 years||8||4|
|Gestation period duration||242.9 to 299.18 days||4||4|
|Total life span||47.6 to 47.6 years||1||1|
|Dispersal age||16.5 to 38.49 days||4||4|
|Weaning age||11.45 to 30.74 days||8||4|
|Litters per year||1.1 to 1.1||4||4|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||1.0 to 1.25||8||4|
|Litters per year||1.0 to 1.0 per year||2||2|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!