WikipediaRead full entry
|gills on hymenium|
|cap is flat|
|hymenium is free|
|stipe has a ring|
|spore print is green|
|ecology is saprotrophic|
Chlorophyllum molybdites, which has the common names of false parasol or green-spored parasol is a widespread mushroom. Highly poisonous and producing severe gastrointestinal symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, it is commonly confused with the shaggy parasol, and is the most commonly consumed poisonous mushroom in North America. Its large imposing appearance and similarity to the edible Parasol mushroom, as well as its habit of growing in areas near human habitation, are reasons cited for this. The nature of the poisoning is predominantly gastrointestinal.
Distribution and habitat
Chlorophyllum molybdites grows in lawns and parks across eastern North America and California, and subtropical regions around the world. Fruiting bodies generally appear after summer and autumn rains. It has spread to other countries, with reports in Scotland and Australia.
It is an imposing mushroom with a pileus (cap) up to 40 cm in diameter, hemispherical and with a flattened top. The cap is whitish in colour with coarse brownish scales. The gills are free and white, often with a greenish tinge. The tall stipe may be up to 25 cm tall and bears a ring. This mushroom lacks the snakeskin pattern that is generally present on the parasol mushroom.
Chlorophyllum molybdites is the poisonous mushroom most frequently eaten in North America. The symptoms are predominantly gastrointestinal in nature, with vomiting, diarrhea and colic, often severe, occurring 1–3 hours after consumption.
- Beug, Michael W. An Overview of Mushroom Poisonings in North America. The Mycophile, vol. 45(2):4-5, March/April 2004
- Benjamin, Denis R. (1995). "Gastrointestinal syndrome". Mushrooms: poisons and panaceas — a handbook for naturalists, mycologists and physicians. New York: WH Freeman and Company. pp. 351–377. ISBN 0-7167-2600-9.
- How to not pass up a parasol – and how not to