Saccharomyces bayanus is a yeast of the genus Saccharomyces, and is used in winemaking and cider fermentation, and to make distilled beverages. Saccharomyces bayanus like Saccharomyces pastorianus, is now accepted to be the result of multiple hybridisation events between three pure species, Saccharomyces uvarum, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Saccharomyces eubayanus. Notably, most commercial yeast cultures sold as pure S. bayanus for wine making, e.g. Lalvin EC-1118 strain, have been found to contain S. cerevisiae cultures instead 
S. bayanus is used intensively in comparative genomics studies. Based on a computation-based experimental design system, Caudy et al. generated a rich resource for expression profiles for S. bayanus, which has been used in several comparative studies in yeast systems, including expression patterns  and nucleosome profiles.
- Libkind, Diego, et al. "Microbe domestication and the identification of the wild genetic stock of lager-brewing yeast." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108.35 (2011): 14539-14544.
- Nguyen, H. V., Legras, J. L., Neuvéglise, C., & Gaillardin, C. (2011). Deciphering the hybridisation history leading to the lager lineage based on the mosaic genomes of Saccharomyces bayanus strains NBRC1948 and CBS380T. PloS one, 6(10), e25821.
- Hoff, Justin Wallace. Molecular typing of wine yeasts: evaluation of typing techniques and establishment of a database. Diss. Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch University, 2012.
- Kellis, M; Patterson, N; Endrizzi, M; Birren, B; Lander, ES (May 15, 2003). "Sequencing and comparison of yeast species to identify genes and regulatory elements.". Nature 423 (6937): 241–54. doi:10.1038/nature01644. PMID 12748633.
- Caudy, AA; Guan, Y; Jia, Y; Hansen, C; DeSevo, C; Hayes, AP; Agee, J; Alvarez-Dominguez, JR; Arellano, H; Barrett, D; Bauerle, C; Bisaria, N; Bradley, PH; Breunig, JS; Bush, E; Cappel, D; Capra, E; Chen, W; Clore, J; Combs, PA; Doucette, C; Demuren, O; Fellowes, P; Freeman, S; Frenkel, E; Gadala-Maria, D; Gawande, R; Glass, D; Grossberg, S; Gupta, A; Hammonds-Odie, L; Hoisos, A; Hsi, J; Hsu, YH; Inukai, S; Karczewski, KJ; Ke, X; Kojima, M; Leachman, S; Lieber, D; Liebowitz, A; Liu, J; Liu, Y; Martin, T; Mena, J; Mendoza, R; Myhrvold, C; Millian, C; Pfau, S; Raj, S; Rich, M; Rokicki, J; Rounds, W; Salazar, M; Salesi, M; Sharma, R; Silverman, S; Singer, C; Sinha, S; Staller, M; Stern, P; Tang, H; Weeks, S; Weidmann, M; Wolf, A; Young, C; Yuan, J; Crutchfield, C; McClean, M; Murphy, CT; Llinás, M; Botstein, D; Troyanskaya, OG; Dunham, MJ (Sep 2013). "A new system for comparative functional genomics of Saccharomyces yeasts.". Genetics 195 (1): 275–87. PMID 23852385.
- Guan, Y; Dunham, MJ; Troyanskaya, OG; Caudy, AA (Jan 16, 2013). "Comparative gene expression between two yeast species.". BMC Genomics 14: 33. PMID 23324262.
- Guan, Y; Yao, V; Tsui, K; Gebbia, M; Dunham, MJ; Nislow, C; Troyanskaya, OG (Sep 26, 2011). "Nucleosome-coupled expression differences in closely-related species.". BMC Genomics 12: 466. PMID 21942931.
- Guan, Y; Dunham, M; Caudy, A; Troyanskaya, O (Mar 5, 2010). "Systematic planning of genome-scale experiments in poorly studied species.". PLoS computational biology 6 (3): e1000698. PMID 20221257.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!