Data about Lynx
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Evolution and Systematics
||The Paleobiology Database|
Glossary for Lynx
- Age at eye opening
- Age at which both eyes are fully open after birth.
- Kate E. Jones, Jon Bielby, Marcel Cardillo, Susanne A. Fritz, Justin O'Dell, C. David L. Orme, Kamran Safi, Wes Sechrest, Elizabeth H. Boakes, Chris Carbone, Christina Connolly, Michael J. Cutts, Janine K. Foster, Richard Grenyer, Michael Habib, Christopher A. Plaster, Samantha A. Price, Elizabeth A. Rigby, Janna Rist, Amber Teacher, Olaf R. P. Bininda-Emonds, John L. Gittleman, Georgina M. Mace, and Andy Purvis. 2009. PanTHERIA: a species-level database of life history, ecology, and geography of extant and recently extinct mammals. Ecology 90:2648. http://esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E090/184/
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Agricultural feature
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A deep fissure in snow or ice.
- A region rendered barren or partially barren by environmental extremes, especially by low rainfall.
- Dispersal age
- Age at which young permanently leave the parent, parental group, social group or any associated territories.
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- Extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- First Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- First Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- An area with a high density of trees. A small forest may be called a wood.
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- The natural environment in which an organism lives, or the physical environment that surrounds (influences and is utilized by) a species population.
- Habitat. (2013, August 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:01, August 14, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Habitat&oldid=567783959
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- A body of water or other liquid of considerable size contained on a body of land.
- Last Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Last Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- Million years ago
- 1 megaannum in the past. Megaannum, Ma. is a unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- A mountain rising from the ocean seafloor that does not reach to the water's surface (sea level), and thus is not an island. Typically formed from volcanoes that rise abruptly and are usually found rising from a seafloor of 1,000 - 4,000 meters depth. Independent features that rise to at least 1,000 meters above the seafloor.
- A landform that extends above the surrounding terrain in a limited area. A mountain is generally steeper than a hill, but there is no universally accepted standard definition for the height of a mountain or a hill although a mountain usually has an identifiable summit and a local relief of more than 300m.
- Mountain range
- A series of connected and aligned mountains or mountain ridges.
- National geopolitical entity
- A political association with effective dominion over a geographic area.
- National park
- A reserve of land, usually, but not always declared and owned by a national government, protected from most human development and pollution. National parks are a protected area of IUCN category II.
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- A body of land jutting out into and nearly surrounded by water.
- An elevated and comparatively level expanse of land.
- A mass of the mineral material of the crust of the Earth.
- Area covered with low-growing or stunted perennial vegetation and usually not mixed with trees.
- A wetland that features permanent inundation of large areas of land by shallow bodies of water, generally with a substantial number of hummocks, or dry-land protrusions.
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Treeless, level, or gently rolling plains characteristic of arctic or subarctic regions, having a permanently frozen subsoil, and usually supporting low growing vegetation such as lichens, mosses, and stunted shrubs.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
- Land having a cover of trees, shrubs, or both.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Body length (VT)||68.98 to 96.01 cm||4||4|
|Age at first birth||1.5 to 1.5 years||1||1|
|Onset of fertility||1.0 to 2.75 years||9||3|
|Inter-birth interval||1.0 to 1.0 years||6||3|
|Total life span||26.75 to 32.33 years||3||3|
|Dispersal age||239.99 days to 1.0 years||2||2|
|Body mass||204.0 g to 19.3 kg||8||4|
|Weight||204.0 g to 23.0 kg||9||4|
|Gestation period duration||59.99 to 69.44 days||4||4|
|Weaning age||59.99 to 152.0 days||6||3|
|Total life span||23.7 to 32.3 years||3||3|
|Age at eye opening||8.0 to 14.0 days||3||3|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||2.0 to 3.5||8||4|
|Litters per year||1.0 to 1.1||3||3|
|Litters per year||0.9 to 1.0 per year||3||3|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!