Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Euchloe ausonia
Public Records: 11
Specimens with Barcodes: 42
Species With Barcodes: 1
Barcode data: Euchloe ausonia
There are 28 barcode sequences available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
The wingspan is 36–48 mm. In most of its range, there are two generations. Adults are on wing from the beginning of March to the beginning of July. In mountainous and very dry areas, there is only one generation.
The larvae feed on the flowers and young fruits of Sinapis arvensis, Isatis tinctoria, Isatis glauca, Aethionema saxatile, Iberis sempervirens, Biscutella mollis, Biscutella laevigata, Bunias erucago and Aurinia saxatilis.
Systematics and subspecies
The three species Euchloe ausonia, Euchloe crameri and Euchloe simplonia are closely related. Many authors refer to these species as the Euchloe ausonia-complex, -superspecies or -species group. Sometimes Euchloe naina is also added to this group, but crossbreeding experiments suggest it may be a subspecies of Euchloe simplonia. Because of these taxonomic problems, the number of subspecies is not certain. The following subspecies are listed:
- Euchloe ausonia maxima Verity, 1925 (Crimea)
- Euchloe ausonia graeca (Verity, 1925) (Greece, southern Siberia)
- Euchloe ausonia pulverata (Christoph, 1884) (Tien Shan)
- Euchloe ausonia volgensis Krulikovsky, 1897 (southern Russia)
- Euchloe ausonia melisande Frühstorfer, 1908 (Jordan)
- Euchloe ausonia irinia Dubatolov & Kosterin, 1994 (Kazakhstan)
- Dubatolov, V.V. and O.E. Kosterin (1994). "A new subspecies of the Euchloe ausonia Huebner species group from the highlands of the Dzungarian Alatau (East Kazakhstan) (Lepidoptera, Pieridae)." Atalanta (Marktleuthen) 25(3-4): 513-520
- Back, W. (1990). "TAXONOMIC STUDIES WITHIN THE EUCHLOE-AUSONIA HUEBNER 1804 SPECIES GROUP (LEPIDOPTERA, PIERIDAE)." Atalanta (Marktleuthen) 21(3-4): 187-206.
|This Pieridae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Euchloe ausonia dephalis
- Evans, W.H. (1932) The Identification of Indian Butterflies. (2nd Ed), Bombay Natural History Society, Mumbai, India
- Gaonkar, Harish (1996) Butterflies of the Western Ghats, India (including Sri Lanka) - A Biodiversity Assessment of a threatened mountain system. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society.
- Gay,Thomas; Kehimkar,Isaac & Punetha,J.C.(1992) Common Butterflies of India. WWF-India and Oxford University Press, Mumbai, India.
- Kunte,Krushnamegh (2005) Butterflies of Peninsular India. Universities Press.
- Wynter-Blyth, M.A. (1957) Butterflies of the Indian Region, Bombay Natural History Society, Mumbai, India.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!