This information is based an ongoing project dedicated to the inventory and dissemination of information on lepidopteran larvae, their host plants, and their parasitoids in a Costa Rican tropical wet forest and an Ecuadorian montane cloud forest.
N=31 rearings, 16 eclosed and 15 died.
Adults are sexually dimorphic.
Collected in Heredia Province, Costa Rica.
Mimosoideae: Pentachlethra macroloba, Pithecellobium longifolium
Fabaceae: Senna fruticosa, Senna papillosa, Inga alba, Inga sp.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Phoebis argante
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Phoebis argante
Public Records: 14
Specimens with Barcodes: 51
Species With Barcodes: 1
Phoebis argante has a wingspan of about 54–67 millimetres (2.1–2.6 in). The uppersides of male's wings are bright orange a with thin black or dark brown border on forewings. The hindwings are slightly paler and have two small whitish spots in the middle. The basic colour of the females vary from white to yellow, with dark borders.
The following subspecies are recognised:
- Phoebis argante argante (Brazil, Uruguay)
- Phoebis argante larra (Fabricius, 1798) (Guyana, Surinam)
- Phoebis argante minuscula (Butler, 1869) (Cuba)
- Phoebis argante rorata (Butler, 1869) (Dominican Republic)
- Phoebis argante comstocki Avinoff, 1944 (Jamaica)
- Phoebis argante chincha Lamas, 1976 (Peru)
- Phoebis argante martini Comstock, 1944
- Phoebis argante ssp. (Mexico)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Phoebis argante.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Phoebis argante|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!