Eurema brigitta, know as the Broad-bordered Grass Yellow, Small Grass Yellow, or No Brand Grass Yellow is a small (adult wingspan 28-45 mm), bright yellow butterfly in family Pieridae. There are about 55 species in genus Eurema; E. brigitta can be distinguished from its similar congenitors by its lack of black spots on the unside of the forewing. One of the 15 most common butterflies in Africa, Arabia and Southeast Asia, the Small Grass Yellow is widespread in almost all countries in both continents, including Madagascar and other islands. It also occurs in Papua New Guinea and Australia. This habitat generalist lives mainly in open grasslands, clearings and disturbed areas, up to altitudes of 2400 m. Adults eat flower nectar; males also mud puddle on sand or dung, often in large migratory congregations. The larvae, which grow to about 3 cm long have a darker green back and lighter lateral stripes. Larvae feed on hostplants in the family Fabaceae (Leguminaceae): especially Chamaecrista mimosoides, Neptunia dimorphantha (in Australia), species in the genera Senna, Sesbania, Albizia, Acacia, and Tephrosia and Hypericum aethiopicum (family Hypericaceae). For a nice photo description of the life history of this species, see http://www.butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/10/life-history-of-no-brand-grass-yellow.html
(Day 2000-2013; Hoskins 2013; Herbison 2009; Larsen 2011; Tan 2009)
- Day, L. 2000-2013. Eurema brigitta hainana. Samuibutterflies. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.samuibutterflies.com/insects/butterflies/pieridae/euremabrigittahainana/
- Hoskins.A, Learn About Butterflies: the complete guide to the world of butterflies & moths. Small Grass Yellow: Eurema brigatta. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/Africa%20-%20Eurema%20brigitta.htm.
- Herbison-Evans, D. and S. Crossley. 23 April, 2009. Eurema brigitta. Butterflies of Australia: Coffs Harbour Butterfly House. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/pier/brigitt.html.
- Larsen, T. 2011. Eurema brigitta. In: IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. Retrieved 07 June 2013 from http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/159946/0.
- Tan, H. 2009. Life History of No Brand Grass Yellow. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/10/life-history-of-no-brand-grass-yellow.html
Habitat and Ecology
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Eurema brigitta
Public Records: 3
Specimens with Barcodes: 21
Species With Barcodes: 1
Barcode data: Eurema brigitta
There is 1 barcode sequence available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is the sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen. Other sequences that do not yet meet barcode criteria may also be available.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
Small Grass Yellow or Broad-bordered Grass Yellow (Eurema brigitta) is a small butterfly of the family Pieridae, that is, the Yellows and Whites, which is found in India and other parts of Asia. It is also present in Australia and Africa.
- Eurema brigitta brigitta (Tropical Africa)
- Eurema brigitta pulchella (Boisduval, 1833) (Madagascar, Mauritius, Comoro Islands, Aldabra Islands)
- Eurema brigitta drona (Horsfield, ) (Sumatra, Java to Lombok)
- Eurema brigitta senna (C. & R. Felder, ) (Peninsular Malaya, Singapore, Indochina)
- Eurema brigitta fruhstorferi (Moore, 1906) (eastern Indo-China)
- Eurema brigitta ina Eliot, 1956 (southern Sulawesi)
- Eurema brigitta hainana (Moore, 1878) (Hainan)
- Eurema brigitta rubella (Wallace, 1867) (Sri Lanka, India, Burma to southern China, Nicobars)
- Eurema brigitta formosana Matsumura, 1919 (Taiwan)
- Eurema brigitta yunnana (Mell)
- Eurema brigitta australis (Wallace, 1867) (Australia, New Guinea, Papua New Guinea)
- Woodhall, S. Field Guide to Butterflies of South Africa, Cape Town: Struik Publishers, 2005.
- Evans, W.H. (1932) The Identification of Indian Butterflies. (2nd Ed), Bombay Natural History Society, Mumbai, India
- Gaonkar, Harish (1996) Butterflies of the Western Ghats, India (including Sri Lanka) - A Biodiversity Assessment of a threatened mountain system. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society.
- Gay, Thomas; Kehimkar, Isaac & Punetha, J.C. (1992) Common Butterflies of India. WWF-India and Oxford University Press, Mumbai, India.
- Kunte, Krushnamegh (2005) Butterflies of Peninsular India. Universities Press.
- Wynter-Blyth, M.A. (1957) Butterflies of the Indian Region, Bombay Natural History Society, Mumbai, India.
Habits, Behavior, Views
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eurema brigitta.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Eurema brigitta|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!