Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Charaxes ansorgei
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Charaxes ansorgei
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 3
Species With Barcodes: 1
Charaxes ansorgei is a butterfly in the Nymphalidae family. It is found in Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia. The habitat consists of montane forest on altitudes between 2,000 and 3,000 meters. The larvae feed on Bersama abyssinica abyssinica, Bersama abyssinica englerana and Bersama paullinoides.
- C. a. ansorgei (Uganda: slopes of Mount Elgon, Kenya: highlands west of the Rift Valley)
- C. a. jacksoni Poulton, 1933 (Kenya: highlands east of the Rift Valley)
- C. a. kilimanjarica van Someren, 1967 (Tanzania: Kilimanjaro)
- C. a. kinyeti Plantrou, 1989 (Sudan (south to Imatong, Kinyeti and Didinga Mountains)
- C. a. kungwensis van Someren, 1967 (Tanzania: eastern shores of Lake Tanganyika)
- C. a. levicki Poulton, 1933 (southern highlands of Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia)
- C. a. loita Plantrou, 1982 (southern Kenya, northern Tanzania)
- C. a. ruandana Talbot, 1932 (south-western Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo)
- C. a. rydoni van Someren, 1967 (north-eastern Tanzania)
- C. a. simoni Turlin, 1987 (north-eastern Tanzania)
- C. a. ufipa Kielland, 1978 (western Tanzania)
The members of the Charaxes jasius group are:
- Charaxes jasius
- Charaxes pelias – smaller than jasius
- Charaxes hansali
- Charaxes castor
- Charaxes brutus – dark with white bands
- Charaxes andara – Madagascar
- Charaxes ansorgei
- Charaxes phoebus
- Charaxes pollux
- Charaxes druceanus
- Charaxes phraortes – Madagascar, close to next
- Charaxes andranodorus – close to last
- Charaxes eudoxus
- Charaxes richelmanni
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charaxes ansorgei.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Charaxes ansorgei|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!