Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Charaxes acraeoides
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Charaxes acraeoides
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 7
Species With Barcodes: 1
One of the two Charaxes species with strikingly elongated forewings the outer margin of which is concave. The other is the less falcate Charaxes fournierae.The ground colour is black, the pattern is dull red.
"Charaxes acraeoides, sp. n.
Male.—Head black, with four yellow spots, two on each side above the eye ; antennae black ; collar, tegular, thorax,and abdomen black ; a white spot on the thorax just behind the collar and two yellow spots on each side of the thorax ;palpi above black, the underside orange-yellow ; the underside of the thorax and abdomen orange-yellow ; the legs black. Primaries [forewings] black, crossed near the apex by a band of four elongated cream-coloured spots, the inner margin streaked with red, above which are five large red spots, the one nearest the anal angle the largest : secondaries [hindwings] red, black at the base and partly along the inner margin, the anal angle and part of the inner margin cream-colour ; a black streak at the end of the cell, with the black spots on the underside showing through; the outer margin from the apex to the anal angle black, with a series of minute white dots in the middle of the black margin. Underside : primaries, the apical part of the wing pale yellowish brown, the veins and streaks between the veins black ; the cream-coloured band as above, edged on the inner side by a band of black spots which extend along the outer margin to the anal angle ; the cell and the central part of wing greenish grey ; the usual black marks in the cell ; the wing below the cell to the inner margin orange-red : secondaries orange-red, palest above the cell and above the anal angle ; the outer margins and veins all black; four large black spots on the costal margin, four in the cell, and a row of five partly round the outside of the cell ; the black outer margin is spotted with blue and greenish-grey dots.
Expanse 4 and 1/2 inches.
Female The female was not described until 1976 
The habitat consists of primary forest (Congolian forests).
Charaxes acraeoides group
the supposed clade members are
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charaxes acraeoides.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Charaxes acraeoides|
- Charaxes, Site of Markku Savela
- Afrotropical Butterflies: File H - Charaxinae - Tribe Charaxini
- Druce, H., 1908 The Annals and Magazine of Natural History,series 8, 2, No. 11, page 449
- Basquin, Patrick, 1976 Description de la femelle de Charaxes acraeoides (Lep. Nymphalidae). Bull. Soc. ent. Fr. 80(9/10), pp. 285-287, 1 figure
- Arnold Schultze, 1917 Die charaxiden und apaturiden der kolonie Kamerun : eine zoogeographische und biologische studie / von Arnold Schultze. Mit tafel IX-XIV, 1 karte und 2 textfiguren.Berlin,Gesellschaft Naturforschender Freunde zu Berlin,1916 
- Victor Gurney Logan Van Someren, 1974 Revisional notes on African Charaxes (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Part IX. Bulletin of the British Museum of Natural History (Entomology) 29 (8):415-487. 
- Vingerhoedt, Zakharov, Rougerie & Bouyer, 2010 Révision du statut des membres du groupe de Charaxes acraeoides, Druce 1908; approche intégrant morphologie, biogéographie et code barre ADN. Entomologia Africana n°15, volume 1:36 - 48.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!