Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:31
Specimens with Barcodes:31
Species With Barcodes:7
Analysis of the ribosomal DNA of many of the Pezizales showed the genus Gyromitra to be most closely related to the genus Discina, and also Pseudorhizina, Hydnotrya, and only distantly related to Helvella. Thus the four genera are now included in the family Discinaceae.
Gyromitra comes from gyro meaning convoluted and mitra meaning turban.
Some types of Gyromitra are highly poisonous when raw due to the presence of Gyromitrin, although some species are edible when cooked and Gyromitra are sought after in Scandinavian countries. Widespread hemolysis has been reported from ingestion which can result in renal failure. Methemoglobinemia has also been seen, although it is typically responsive to treatment with methylene blue. Seizures can also develop via inhibition of the neurotransmitter GABA.
List of species
- Gyromitra ambigua
- Gyromitra brunnea
- Gyromitra bubakii
- Gyromitra californica
- Gyromitra caroliniana (North America)
- Gyromitra esculenta - False morel
- Gyromitra fastigiata
- Gyromitra gigas - Snow morel
- Gyromitra infula - Elfin saddle
- Gyromitra leucoxantha
- Gyromitra perlata
- Kirk PM, Cannon PF, Minter DW, Stalpers JA. (2008). Dictionary of the Fungi. 10th ed. Wallingford: CABI. p. 299. ISBN 0-85199-826-7.
- O'Donnell K, Cigelnik E, Weber NS, Trappe JM (1997). "Phylogenetic relationships among ascomycetous truffles and the true and false morels inferred from 18S and 28S ribosomal DNA sequence analysis". Mycologia (Mycologia, Vol. 89, No. 1) 89 (1): 48–65. doi:10.2307/3761172. JSTOR 3761172.
- Hansen, K.; Pfister, D.H. (2006). "Systematics of the Pezizomycetes—the operculate discomycetes". Mycologia 98 (6): 1029–1040. doi:10.3852/mycologia.98.6.1029. PMID 17486978.
- Brozen, R. "Mushroom Toxicity - Gyromitra Toxin." Emedicine.com, Last updated: 2/29/08.
|This Pezizomycetes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!