DistributionRead full entry
Range DescriptionThis species is recorded by Euro+Med PlantBase (2006) as native to Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Greece, Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia. However, V. StevanoviÄ (pers. comm. 2010) believes that its presence in Greece is doubtful. It has a scattered distribution in high mountain areas of the central Balkans above 1,500 m. Its distribution is of a mountain insular type characterized by micro-disjunctions. The main range of this species is in Bulgaria.
The following localities have been recorded (StevanoviÄ et al. 2010):
- Central Bosnia: Mt. Vranica. A single locality which is very distant from the closest ones which are in the bordering mountains between Montenegro and Albania (Mt. ProkletijeâBjesket e Nemuna).
- Serbia: Kosovo and Metochia province (Mt. Prokletije, Mt. Å arplanina); east Serbia (Mt. Stara Planina).
- Montenegro: Mt. Prokletije.
- Albania: Mts ProkletijeâBjesket e Nemuna, Mj JalicaâMaje e Djalices, Mt. Korab.
- FYR Macedonia: Mts. Å arplanina, Rudoka, Vraca and Korab.
- Bulgaria: the west and central part of Mt. Stara PlaninaâMt. Balkan, Mts. Rila and Pirin; west and central Rhodopes.
- Greece: Mts. Triklario and Varnous. These records are cited in the literature but specimens have not been seen; therefore, this locality requires confirmation. The localities in Greece are distant from neighbouring ones in FYR Macedonia and Albania.