Habitat and Ecology
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Parides burchellanus
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Parides burchellanus
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 2
Species With Barcodes: 1
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- Needs updating
- 1994Vulnerable(Groombridge 1994)
- 1990Vulnerable(IUCN 1990)
- 1988Vulnerable(IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1988)
- 1986Vulnerable(IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1986)
In 2012, Parides burchellanus was included among the world's 100 most threatened species in a report by the IUCN Species Survival Commission and the Zoological Society of London.
- Fiona Harvey (September 10, 2012). "The expendables? World's 100 most endangered species listed". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/sep/11/100-most-endangered-species-listed. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Jonathan E. M. Baillie & Ellen R. Butcher (2012). Priceless or Worthless? (PDF). Zoological Society of London. ISBN 978-0-900881-67-1. http://static.zsl.org/files/priceless-or-worthless-final-wq-2040-2050.pdf
Parides burchellanus is a large, velvet-black butterfly. The forewing is unmarked except for small, white marginal spots. The underside of the hind wing has small, red postdiscal spots. These are smaller and paler on the lower surface. The hindwing has a scalloped outer margin and a large androconial hair-pouch on the anal margin of the male. There are no tails. Apart from the hair-pouch, the sexes are alike.
Habitat and Threats
P. burchellanus is a rare species or, if it is a subspecies, Evolutionarily Significant Unit, of butterfly (Lepidoptera, Papilionoidea) that lives in a very few areas in central Brazil. Its close relation with a highly peculiar environment (gallery or riparian forest along rivers running through the cerrado landscape) restricts its occurrence to a few points. The frailty of its habitat, towards the increasing of loss of natural environments, makes it a target prone to elimination.
- Gimenez Dixon, M. 1996. Parides burchellanus. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 31 July 2007.
- Collins, N.M., Morris, M.G., IUCN, 1985 Threatened Swallowtail Butterflies of the World: the IUCN Red Data Book 1985 IUCN pdf
- Edwin Möhn, 2006 Schmetterlinge der Erde, Butterflies of the world Part XXVI (26), Papilionidae XIII. Parides. Edited by Erich Bauer and Thomas Frankenbach Keltern : Goecke & Evers ; Canterbury : Hillside Books. ISBN 978-3-937783-27-7 (Supplement 13 in English - by Racheli)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parides burchellanus.|
|This Papilionidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|