Brief Summary

Read full entry
As small as it may be, the dinoflagellate Dinophysis makes itself known to humans in an unpleasant way. Shellfish consume a toxic substance excreted by dinophysis when it blooms and people eat shellfish. When concentrations are too high, shellfish are dangerous to eat. The animal itself suffers little from the harmful algae, however shellfish-eating people can suffer from intestinal and stomach disturbances. Fortunately, after a couple of days of nausea, the only remaining effect is that it will probably be a long time before the victim eats shellfish again. Since the 1970s, this toxic alga has been found occasionally in shellfish harvested from the Oosterschelde and the Wadden Sea.

Trusted

Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial 3.0 (CC BY-NC 3.0)

© Copyright Ecomare

Source: Ecomare

Belongs to 0 communities

This taxon hasn't been featured in any communities yet.

Learn more about Communities

Disclaimer

EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.

To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!