Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:30
Specimens with Barcodes:30
Species With Barcodes:10
Alestes is a genus in the family Alestidae, known as the "African Characidae" as they are found exclusively on that continent. As suggested by that name, they Alestidae was formerly included in Characidae. Myletes is a synonym of Alestes, but the former name has historically also been used for various South American serrasalmines.
There are currently seven recognized species in this genus:
- Alestes ansorgii Boulenger, 1910
- Alestes baremoze (Joannis, 1835) (Silversides)
- Alestes dentex (Linnaeus, 1758) (Characin)
- Alestes inferus Stiassny, Schelly & Mamonekene, 2009
- Alestes liebrechtsii Boulenger, 1898
- Alestes macrophthalmus Günther, 1867 (Torpedo robber)
- Alestes stuhlmannii Pfeffer, 1896
- Species brought into synonymy
- Alestes bouboni Roman, 1973: synonym of Brycinus nurse (Rüppell, 1832)
- Alestes chaperi Sauvage, 1882: synonym of Brycinus longipinnis (Günther, 1864)
- Alestes longipinnis (Günther, 1864): synonym of Brycinus longipinnis (Günther, 1864)
- Alestes luteus Roman, 1966: synonym of Brycinus luteus (Roman, 1966)
- Alestes macrolepiditus (Valenciennes, 1850): synonym of Brycinus macrolepidotus Valenciennes, 1850
- Alestes macrolepidotus (Valenciennes, 1850): synonym of Brycinus macrolepidotus Valenciennes, 1850
- Alestes rutilus Boulenger, 1916: synonym of Brycinus macrolepidotus Valenciennes, 1850
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!