Data about <i>Leptotila verreauxi capitalis</i>
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Glossary for Leptotila verreauxi capitalis
- A maturity quality inhering in an individual by virtue of the individual having attained sexual maturity and full growth
- catalog number
- An identifier (preferably unique) for the record within the data set or collection.
- collection code
- The name, acronym, coden, or initialism identifying the collection or data set from which the record was derived.
- collection id
- An identifier for the collection or dataset from which the record was derived.
- The name of the continent in which the Location occurs.
- An entity responsible for making contributions to the resource.
- The name of the country or major administrative unit in which the Location occurs.
- The full, unabbreviated name of the next smaller administrative region than stateProvince (county, shire, department, etc.) in which the Location occurs.
- The integer day of the month on which the Event occurred.
- end day of year
- The latest ordinal day of the year on which the Event occurred (1 for January 1, 365 for December 31, except in a leap year, in which case it is 366).
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- higher geography
- A list (concatenated and separated) of geographic names less specific than the information captured in the locality term.
- individual count
- The number of individuals represented present at the time of the Occurrence.
- institution code
- The name (or acronym) in use by the institution having custody of the object(s) or information referred to in the record.
- life stage
- The age class or life stage of the biological individual(s) at the time the Occurrence was recorded. Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary.
- The specific description of the place. Less specific geographic information can be provided in other geographic terms (higherGeography, continent, country, stateProvince, county, municipality, waterBody, island, islandGroup). This term may contain information modified from the original to correct perceived errors or standardize the description.
- A biological sex quality inhering in an individual or a population whose sex organs contain only male gametes.
- measurement value
- The value of the measurement, fact, characteristic, or assertion.
- The ordinal month in which the Event occurred.
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM)
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM), Washington, District of Columbia, USA. NMNH and USNM both refer to the National Museum of Natural History. Collections are associated with one or the other acronym. US, the US National Herbarium, is a collection within the National Museum of Natural History. URL for main institutional website: http://www.mnh.si.edu/rc/ URL for institutional specimen catalog: http://collections.mnh.si.edu/
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM) Division of Birds
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM), Washington, District of Columbia, USA. USNM bird specimens are cited without a collection code (USNM:xxxxx) 610,000+ specimens representing ~80% of bird species. Skins, skeletal and fluid-preserved tissue collections, egg sets, nests, frozen tissues. Almost 4,000 type specimens. URL for collection: http://vertebrates.si.edu/birds/ URL for collection's specimen catalog/database: http://collections.mnh.si.edu/search/birds/
- A list (concatenated and separated) of preparations and preservation methods for a specimen.
- recorded by
- A list (concatenated and separated) of names of people, groups, or organizations responsible for recording the original Occurrence. The primary collector or observer, especially one who applies a personal identifier (recordNumber), should be listed first.
- scientific name
- The full scientific name, with authorship and date information if known. When forming part of an Identification, this should be the name in lowest level taxonomic rank that can be determined. This term should not contain identification qualifications, which should instead be supplied in the IdentificationQualifier term.
- The sex of the biological individual(s) represented in the Occurrence. Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary.
- A related resource from which the described resource is derived.
- start day of year
- The earliest ordinal day of the year on which the Event occurred (1 for January 1, 365 for December 31, except in a leap year, in which case it is 366).
- state or province
- The name of the next smaller administrative region than country (state, province, canton, department, region, etc.) in which the Location occurs.
- a) A specimen designated or indicated any kind of type of a species or infraspecific taxon. If possible more specific type terms (holotype, syntype, etc.) should be applied. b) the type name of a name of higher rank for taxa above the species rank. [General]
- type specimen repository
- The institution that holds a type specimen for a given species. The recommended best practice is to use the identifier in a collections registry such as the Biodiversity Collections Index (http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/).
- type status
- A list (concatenated and separated) of nomenclatural types (type status, typified scientific name, publication) applied to the subject.
- verbatim event date
- The verbatim original representation of the date and time information for an Event.
- The four-digit year in which the Event occurred, according to the Common Era Calendar.
|Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology|
Database and Repository Coverage
type specimen repository
National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM) male adult
|National Museum of Natural History Collections|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!