- Telson present, of medium or large size, with 3 or more terminal setae, rarely with only 1. Uropod inner ramus three-articulate.
- Male pleopods 3 or 0 pairs, with external process on inner ramus; female pleopods present in one species.
- Number free thoracic somites never reduced.
- Exopods on maxillipeds and the following combinations of pereopods: in the male 1-4; in the female, 2 + 2 rudimentary, rarely 1 or 1 + 1 rudimentary.
- Mandible naviculoid, with large section dorsal to molar.
- Branchial apparatus with narrow gill plates.
- Watling, Les
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:13
Specimens with Barcodes:12
Species With Barcodes:6
Lampropidae is a family of cold-water crustaceans belonging to the order Cumacea. Members of Lampropidae are relatively easily recognised because they all at have at least three terminal setae on the telson (rigid fibres on the end of the tail). The telson is medium to large and not fused with the last segment of the pleon. The endopods (interior branches) of the uropods are present on all three members. In the males the flagellum of the second antenna reaches beyond the carapace; moreover, they possess pleopods. In the females the second antenna is somewhat shorter than the first. There are exopods (outer branches) on the third maxilliped and strongly reduced or absent on the third pereopods.
- Georg Ossian Sars (1878). "Nye bidrag til kundskaben om Middelhavets Invertebratfauna. II. Middelhavets Cumaceer" (in Norwegian). Archiv for Mathematik og Naturvidenskab 3: 416–512, pls 1–18.
- WoRMS (2010). "Lampropidae". In L. Watling. World Cumacea database. World Register of Marine Species. http://www.marinespecies.eu/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=110381. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- Sarah Gerken (2010). "Watlingia, a new genus (Cumacea: Lampropidae) from the waters of New Zealand". Journal of Crustacean Biology 30 (2): 296–306. doi:10.1651/09-3188.1.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!