WikipediaRead full entry
Platanthera blephariglottis, commonly known as the White-fringed Orchid or White-fringed Orchis, is a species of orchid of the genus Platanthera. It is considered to be an endangered species in Connecticut and Ohio, a threatened species in Florida, Maryland and Rhode Island, exploitably vulnerable in New York, and susceptible to be threatened in Québec.
Platanthera is a Greek word that means "flat" and "flower" for this use it means "wide or flat anthered", blephariglottis from blepharis which means "eyelash" or "fringed" and glottis for "tongue."
Flowering from late spring until summer, Platanthera blephariglottis is an 8 to 110 centimeters (3 to 43 inches) tall plant that can be found growing in bogs and on the moist banks of lakes and rivers on the eastern side of North America.
- Stem and leaves
- At least 2 and often several spreading to ascending leaves scattered along the stem. Leaf shapes from linear-lanceolate, ovate-lanceolate and elliptic-lanceolate.
- Dense to lax spikes of showy white flowers. Lateral sepals bent downward and outward more than 90 degrees. Petals are near entire fringed and the shape is linear and narrows toward the point of attachment.
- Eastern Canada: Ontario, Quebec
- Northeastern United States: Connecticut, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
- North-Central United States: Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin
- Southeastern United States: Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia
- South-Central United States: Texas
- Lindley, John (1835). The Genera and Species of Orchidaceous Plants. Ridgways, Piccadilly. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Plant Name Search Results" (HTML). International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- "Platanthera blephariglottis (Willd.) Lindl.". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 3 June 2008.
- "25. Platanthera blephariglottis (Willdenow) Lindley". Flora of North America (efloras) 26: Page 552, 564, 567, 568, 569, 571.
- "Habenaria blephariglottis (Willd.) Hook.". Tropicos. Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- "Platanthera blephariglottis". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Robert W. Freckmann Herbarium. "Platanthera blephariglottis". University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Intermountain Herbarium Server (USU-UTC) (26 Apr 2007). "Fact Sheet Platanthera blephariglottis (Willd.) Lindl.". Intermountain Herbarium Server (USU-UTC). Utah State University. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Goltz, James P. (1996). "Platanthera blephariglottis (Willd.) Lindley". Muskoka Flora. University of Toronto Library. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Ann F. Rhoads and Timothy A. Block (4 September 2007). "Eastern prairie fringed-orchid ( Platanthera blephariglottis )" (PDF). Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Wisconsin State Herbarium. "Taxon - Platanthera blephariglottis (Willd.) Lindl.". Wisflora - Vascular Plants. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Retrieved 2008-06-03.[dead link]