Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:106
Specimens with Barcodes:106
Species With Barcodes:13
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2013)|
Poecilotheria is a genus of the family Theraphosidae containing various species of arboreal tarantula. This genus is known for vivid color patterns, fast movement, and potent venom compared to other tarantulas. The genus is native to Sri Lanka and India. The name Poecilotheria is derived from Greek "poikilos" - spotted and "therion" - wild beast.
Poecilotheria (Simon, 1885)
Type species: Poecilotheria fasciata
Poecilotheria gadgili (Tikader, 1977) = Poecilotheria regalis
Poecilotheria nallamalaiensis (Rao et al., 2006) = Poecilotheria formosa
Poecilotheria pederseni (Kirk, 2001) = Poecilotheria vittata
Poecilotheria pococki = Poecilotheria smithi
- Poecilotheria fasciata (Latreille, 1804) — Sri Lanka, the Sri Lankan Ornamental
- Poecilotheria formosa (Pocock, 1899) — India, the Salem Ornamental
- Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica (Smith, 2004) — India, the Rameshwaram Ornamental
- Poecilotheria metallica (Pocock, 1899) — India, the Gooty Sapphire Ornamental
- Poecilotheria miranda (Pocock, 1900) — India, the Bengal Spotted Ornamental
- Poecilotheria ornata (Pocock, 1899) — Sri Lanka, the Fringed Ornamental
- Poecilotheria rajaei (Nanayakkara, et al., 2012) — Mankulam, Sri Lanka, the Mankulam Pink Banded Ornamental
- Poecilotheria regalis (Pocock, 1899) — India, the Indian Ornamental
- Poecilotheria rufilata (Pocock, 1899) — India, the Red Slate Ornamental
- Poecilotheria smithi (Kirk, 1996) — Sri Lanka, the Yellow Backed Ornamental
- Poecilotheria striata (Pocock, 1895) — India, the Mysore Ornamental
- Poecilotheria subfusca (Pocock, 1895) — Sri Lanka, the Ivory Ornamental
- Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli (Smith, 2006) — India, the Wessel's Tiger Ornamental
- Poecilotheria vittata (Pocock, 1895) — Sri Lanka, the Pedersen's Ghost Ornamental
Recently[when?] another species was found by an Undergraduate of Greenwich University, Palinda Perera. Species was named as Poecilotheria amarasekarai, named in honour of famous Sri Lankan biologist Dr. Hiran Amarasekara. The species is found only from Vavuniya, in Sri Lanka.
Note : The taxonomic paper on this species was never published so this species name is not valid. It is, in fact, the same species as Poecilotheria rajaei.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!