Regularity: Regularly occurring
Associations in Sarmatic mixed forests
Example wildflowers or forbs seen in the forest understory in association with the Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii) are: Red Silene dioica), White Silene latifolia ssp. alba), Sand Catchfly (Silene conica), Field Scabious (Knautia arvensis) and Marsh Helleborine (Epipactis palustris). In some fens within forest clearings the Marsh thistle (Cirsium palustre) is found.
Other associates in the Sarmatic forests include some widespread ferns seen on forest floors such as Western Brackenfern (Pteridium aquilinum) and Mountain Bladderfern (Cystopteris montana). Common mosses found in the more mesic soils are Broom Forkmoss (Dicranum scoparium), Stairstep Moss (Hylocomium splendens), Red-stemmed Feathermoss (Pleurozium schreberi), Ostrich Plume (Ptilium crista-castrensis) and Common Hair Moss (Polytrichum commune).
- * C.Michael Hogan. 2011. "Sarmatic mixed forests". Topic ed. Sidney Draggan. Ed.-in-chief Cutler J.Cleveland. Encyclopedia of Earth. Environmental Information Coalition, National Council for Science and the Environment http://www.eoearth.org/article/Sarmatic_mixed_forests
- * U.G.Bolub Bohn and C. Hettwer. 2000. Reduced general map of the natural vegetation of Europe. 1:10,000,000. Bonn-Bad Godesberg, Bonn.
- * World Wildlife Fund. 2001. Sarmatic mixed forests. (PA0436).
- * C.Michael Hogan. 2009. Marsh Thistle: Cirsium palustre. GlobalTwitcher.com, ed. N.Strömberg.
- * H.Sjors. 1999. Swedish plant geography: The background: Geology, climate and zonation. Acta Phytogeogr. Suec. Uppsala: Opulus press, 84:5-14.
adult of Cerambycidae pollenates or fertilises flower of Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Other: major host/prey
Plant / pollenated
adult of Coleoptera pollenates or fertilises flower of Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Foodplant / feeds on
Muntiacus reevesi feeds on Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Foodplant / parasite
hypophyllous, often circinate cluster cup of aecium of Puccinia sessilis parasitises live leaf of Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Other: unusual host/prey
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Public Records: 7
Specimens with Barcodes: 7
Species With Barcodes: 1
National NatureServe Conservation Status
Rounded National Status Rank: NNA - Not Applicable
Names and Taxonomy
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!