DistributionRead full entry
Cypripedium kentuckiense is found in a narrow range from the Cumberland Plateau of Kentucky and northern Tennessee; the Interior Highlands of Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma; and the Gulf Coastal Plain of Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.
This species is found in the following states, counties, and types of geographic regions (which give a more accurate representation of range than states because the species occupies such a small area compared to its total range):
- Alabama: Coosa, Hale, Lowndes, Sumter (East Gulf Coastal Plain and Piedmont )
- Arkansas: Boone, Clark, Crawford, Franklin, Garland, Grant, Hempstead, Howard, Jefferson, Johnson, Lincoln), Madison, Montgomery, Perry, Pike, Polk, Pulaski, Saline, Sevier, Yell (Boston and Ouachita Mountains of Ozark Region of the Interior Highlands and upper West Gulf Coastal Plain)
- Kentucky: Jackson, Knox, Laurel, Lee, Lewis, McCreary, Owsley, Pulask, Rowan, Wolfe (Northeastern Bluegrass Subsection of Bluegrass Section of Interior Low Plateaus)
- Tennessee: Decatur, Franklin, Scott (Cumberland Plateau Section of Unglaciated Appalachian Plateaus)
- Virginia: Lancaster
- Georgia: Laurens
- Texas: Newton, Red River, Sabine, San Augustine (Upper West Gulf Coastal Plain)
- Louisiana: Bienville, Bossier, Catahoula, De Soto, Evangeline, Grant, Jackson, Lincoln, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Sabine, Union, Vernon, Winn (Upper West Gulf Coastal Plain )
- Oklahoma: Choctaw, Le Flore, McCurtain, Pushmataha (Upper West Gulf Coastal Plain and Ouachita Mountains of Interior Highlands )
- Mississippi: Clay, Lee (Upper West Gulf Coastal Plain)
The extent of occurrence(EOO)is estimatedat882,010kmandthe area of occupancy(AOO)is estimatedat748km.
The species can be found up to 500 m altitude.
Sources: Atwood 1985, Chafin et al. 2007, Cribb 1997, Frosch and Cribb 2012, Kartesz 1994, Morse 1981.