- Azémar, F.; Fiers, F.; Tackx, M. (2002). Zooplankton taxonomic list - taxa found from Bath to Gent (Schelde) during winter and spring 2002. Unpublished data. http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=1112
- Species composition of meso- and macrozooplankton of the Black Sea http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=43140
- Gordon, D. (Ed.) (2009). New Zealand Inventory of Biodiversity. Volume One: Kingdom Animalia. 584 pp http://www.marinespecies.org/porifera/porifera.php?p=sourcedetails&id=145244
- O'Reilly, M. (2001). Rotifera, in: Costello, M.J. et al. (Ed.) (2001). European register of marine species: a check-list of the marine species in Europe and a bibliography of guides to their identification. Collection Patrimoines Naturels, 50: pp. 149-151 http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=1388
- De Ridder, M. (1963). Recherches sur les Rotifières des eaux saumâtres: 10. Les Rotifières planktoniques de Nieuport et environs [Research on Rotifera of brackish waters: 10. The planktonic Rotifera of Nieuwpoort and surroundings]. Med. K. Belg. Inst. Nat. Wet. 39(4): 1-39 http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=1118
- MEDIN (2011). UK checklist of marine species derived from the applications Marine Recorder and UNICORN, version 1.0. http://www.marinespecies.org/asteroidea/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=149081
- Ramos, M. (ed.). 2010. IBERFAUNA. The Iberian Fauna Databank http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=149024
This species is common everywhere.
The lorica outline is almost circular or very weakly elliptical: ratio length/width 1.05–1.20. The ventral anterior margin has a broad and shallow median sinus; the dorsal anterior margin is weakly convex to almost straight, or shows three more or less pronounced shallow lobes. In dorsal/ventral view the lorica bears a band of irregular stipples of unequal diameter laterally and caudally, which in cross-sectional view appear to be the junctures of rod-shaped structures connecting the dorsal and ventral parts of the lorica. In crosssectional view the lorica margins are more or less sharp and protruding, the dorsal margin is flat or weakly convex, and the ventral margin is broadly arched and usually higher than the dorsal one. The foot opening is circular, situated ventrally near the middle or somewhat below the middle of the lorica. The distal foot pseudosegment is relatively short and only weakly offset from the wrinkled proximal part of the foot; penultimate pseudosegment absent or indistinct. The dorsal and lateral antennae are located at almost the same height: ratio lorica length/distance antennae from antero-dorsal margin 3.25–3.55. Two red eyespots.
The trophi have 12–16/12–16 (left/right) unci teeth, with very slender and only weakly offset heads; heads of major teeth fairly small. The manubria consist of three large superimposed chambers; sub-ventral chamber vestigial. The number of arched rami scleropili is ~31–32/30–31 (left/right). The fulcrum lacks a proximal opening frontally.
Depth range (m): 0.75 - 0.75
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
Planktic species and free-swimmers. It may be associated to the crustacean Asellus.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Testudinella patina
There is 1 barcode sequence available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is the sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen. Other sequences that do not yet meet barcode criteria may also be available.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Testudinella patina
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 7
Species With Barcodes: 1
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!