Habitat and Ecology
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Picea asperata
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Picea asperata
Public Records: 10
Specimens with Barcodes: 20
Species With Barcodes: 1
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
The assessment of the entire species is driven by that of its most common and widespread nominate variety, which meets criterion A for Vulnerable due to past logging. The logging ban, though imposed since more than a decade, should at least have slowed the reduction substantially, but we suspect it has not stopped it entirely. The species as a whole is therefore considered to be Vulnerable.
- 1998Lower Risk/least concern (LR/lc)
It is a medium-sized evergreen tree growing to 25-40 m tall, and with a trunk diameter of up to 1.5 m. The shoots are orange-brown, with scattered pubescence. The leaves are needle-like, 1-2.5 cm long, rhombic in cross-section, greyish-green to bluish-green with conspicuous stomatal lines. The cones are cylindric-conic, 6-15 cm long and 2-3 cm broad, maturing pale brown 5-7 months after pollination, and have stiff, rounded to bluntly pointed scales.
It is a variable species with several varieties listed. These were first described as distinct species (and are still so treated by some authors), although they differ only in minor details, and some may not prove to be distinct at all if a larger population is examined:
- Picea asperata var. asperata. Cones 6-12 cm; cone scales with a rounded apex.
- Picea asperata var. aurantiaca (syn. P. aurantiaca). Shoots orange.
- Picea asperata var. heterolepis (syn. P. heterolepis). Shoots hairless; cone scales with a rhombic apex.
- Picea asperata var. ponderosa. Cones large, 12-15 cm.
- Picea asperata var. retroflexa (syn. P. retroflexa). Shoots yellowish.
- Assessors: Conifer Specialist Group (1998). "Picea asperata in IUCN 2010". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2010.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Retrieved March 30, 2010.
- In: J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 37: 419. 1906 "Plant Name Details for Picea asperata". IPNI. Retrieved March 30, 2010.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!