Localities documented in Tropicos sources
Note: This information is based on publications available through Tropicos and may not represent the entire distribution. Tropicos does not categorize distributions as native or non-native.
- Valdés-Reyna, J. & M. E. Barkworth. 2002. Poaceae II. Pooideae: Tribu Stipeae. Fl. Veracruz 127: 1–28. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/1020539
The defining morphological features of the Stipeae include single-flowered spikelets lacking a rachilla extension, and the lemmas (the external bract) have either a sharp point or a terminal awn (long bristle).
The tribe includes the genera:
Many species were initially placed into Stipa but have now been split off into new genera. Some recent papers have analysed relationships within and between genera although a complete analysis has not yet been completed. Stipoid grasses use the C3 (cool season) photosynthetic pathway and live in temperate areas worldwide.
- Barkworth ME, Arriaga MO, Smith JF, Jacobs SWL, Valdes-Reyna J, Bushman BS (2008) Molecules and Morphology in South American Stipeae (Poaceae). Systematic Botany 33(4), 719-731.
- Cialdella AM, Giussani LM, Aagesen L, Zuloaga FO, Morrone O (2007) A phylogeny of Piptochaetium (Poaceae : Pooideae : Stipeae) and related genera based on a combined analysis including trnL-F, rp116, and morphology. Systematic Botany 32(3), 545-559.
- Barber JC, Hames KA, Cialdella AM, Giussani LM, Morrone O (2009) Phylogenetic relationships of Piptochaetium Presl (Poaceae: Stipeae) and related genera reconstructed from nuclear and chloroplast sequence datasets. Taxon 58(2), 375-380.
- Jacobs SWL, Bayer R, Everett J, Arriaga MO, Barkworth ME, Sabin-Badereau A, Torres MA, Vazquez FM, Bagnall N (2007) Systematics of the tribe Stipeae (Gramineae) using molecular data. Aliso 23, 349-361.
- Jacobs SWL, Everett J, Barkworth ME, Hsiao C (2000) Relationships within the Stipoid grasses (Gramineae). In 'Grass Systematics and Evolution.' (Eds SWL Jacobs and J Everett) pp. 75-82. (CSIRO: Melbourne)
- Romaschenko K, Peterson PM, Soreng RJ, Garcia-Jacas N, Futorna O, Susanna A (2008) Molecular phylogenetic analysis of the American Stipeae (Poaceae) resolves Jarava sensu lato polyphyletic: evidence for a new genus, Pappostipa. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 2(1), 165-192.
- Thomasson JR (2005) Berriochloa gabeli and Berriochloa huletti (Gramineae: Stipeae), two new grass species from the late Miocene Ash Hollow Formation of Nebraska and Kansas. J Paleontol 79 (1):185-199
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stipeae.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!