Habitat and Ecology
Depth range (m): 18 - 18
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
- Holthuis, L.B. 1991. FAO species catalogue. Vol 13. Marine lobsters of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of species of interest to fisheries known to date. FAO fisheries Synopsis. 125 (13):292 p.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Scyllarides herklotsii
There is 1 barcode sequence available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is the sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen. Other sequences that do not yet meet barcode criteria may also be available.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Scyllarides herklotsii
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
It is unknown whether this species is being impacted on by any major threat processes. The impact of harvesting on this species is unknown.
There are no species-specific conservation measures in place for this species.
A decline in global captures of Scyllaridae has been documented, although information on specific species is lacking (Spanier and Lavalli 2007). Further research is necessary to determine the impact that global harvesting is having on specific species, and to clarify if the documented decline is due to reduced populations or simply reduced effort.
S. herklotsii was named in 1851 by Jan Adrian (or Janus Adrianus) Herklots in a doctoral thesis at the University of Leiden; the type material came from Butre, Ghana, and is stored at the Dutch Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum. The species is found from Senegal, where its range overlaps slightly with that of Scyllarides latus, south to Ponta do Pinda, Angola. It usually lives at depths of 5–70 metres (16–230 ft), but has been recorded from depths as great as 200 m (660 ft). It prefers sandy and rocky substrates.
Scyllarides herklotsii reaches a total length of 32 centimetres (13 in), but does not generally exceed 25 cm (9.8 in) long. It may be differentiated from S. latus by the lower, more rounded nature of the tubercles on the carapace.
- A. Cockcroft, A. MacDiarmid & M. Butler (2009). "Scyllarides herklotsii". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 3.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/170028. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- "Scyllarides herklotsii (Herklots, 1851)". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=553005. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Lipke B. Holthuis (1991). "Scyllarides herklotsii". FAO Species Catalogue, Volume 13. Marine Lobsters of the World. FAO Fisheries Synopsis No. 125. Food and Agriculture Organization. ISBN 92-5-103027-8. http://nlbif.eti.uva.nl/bis/lobsters.php?menuentry=soorten&id=180.
- Janus Adrianus Herklots (1851). Additamenta ad faunam carcinologicam Africae occidentalis (Doctor of Philosophy thesis). Academia Lugduno-Batava. http://www.archive.org/details/specimenzoograph00herk.
- Tin-Yam Chan & Charles Fransen (2010). "Scyllarides herklotsii (Herklots, 1851)". World Register of Marine Species. http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=241309. Retrieved May 12, 2011.