- Dolganov, V.N. 1982 New records for Rhinoraja longicauda (Rajidae, Elasmobranchii) and Hydrolagus barbouri (Chimaeridae, Holocephali). J. Ichthyol. 22(4):143-145. (Ref. 41158)
Habitat and Ecology
Oviparous. A recent study of the distribution and reproductive biology indicates that this species appears to produce eggs all year round with no detectable spawning season. Populations appear to be partly segregated (Kokohu et al. 2003).
Life history parameters
Age at maturity (years): Unknown.
Size at maturity (precaudal length): Female: 55 cm PCL; Male: 48 cm PCL.
Longevity (years): Unknown.
Maximum size (total/body length): 86 cm TL; 48 cm BDL.
Size at birth: ~18 cm TL; 8 cm BDL.
Average reproductive age (years): Unknown.
Gestation time (months): Unknown.
Reproductive periodicity: Unknown.
Average annual fecundity or litter size: Unknown.
Annual rate of population increase: Unknown.
Natural mortality: Unknown.
- Parin, N.V. 2001 An annotated catalogue of fishlike vertebrates and fishes of the seas of Russia and adjacent countries: Part 1. Orders Myxiniformes-Gasterosteiformes. J. Ichthyol. 41(Suppl.1):S51-S131. (Ref. 58497)
Water temperature and chemistry ranges based on 1 sample.
Depth range (m): 820 - 820
Temperature range (°C): 2.819 - 2.819
Nitrate (umol/L): 41.796 - 41.796
Salinity (PPS): 34.227 - 34.227
Oxygen (ml/l): 1.220 - 1.220
Phosphate (umol/l): 3.137 - 3.137
Silicate (umol/l): 134.802 - 134.802
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
From 100 to 500 meters.
Life History and Behavior
- Breder, C.M. and D.E. Rosen 1966 Modes of reproduction in fishes. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey. 941 p. (Ref. 205)
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Hydrolagus barbouri
Below is the sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen.
Other sequences that do not yet meet barcode criteria may also be available.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Hydrolagus barbouri
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- IUCN 2006 2006 IUCN red list of threatened species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded July 2006.
The effective implementation of a national management plan (under the FAO International Plan of Action for the Conservation and Management of Sharks: IPOA?Sharks) will help to facilitate the conservation and management of all chondrichthyan species in the country. Japan?s National Plan Of Action was available in 2001.
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
- Dagit, D.D. 2005. Hydrolagus barbouri. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 3 August 2007.
|This Chondrichthyes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|