The species is known from northern Viet Nam (including the Da, Thao, Chay, Lo, and Gam rivers in the Hong (Red) and Black rivers, and the Cau and Thuong rivers), southern China (Hong Kong, Fujian, Guangdong, Yunnan, Sichuan). The southernmost limit in Viet Nam is the Ma River (Thanh Hoa province). In Lao PDR it is known in the Ma River and in headwaters of Mekong tributaries southwards at least to the Nam Kading drainage (Kottelat 2001; pers. comm. 2011). It is present in Thailand in the Salween, Chao Phraya, and Mekong basins (Vidthayanon et al. 1997), and in Myanmar in the Salween and Ayeyarwaddy basins (BANCA 2009).
In China, the species is known from the upper Mekong (but not in the upper headwaters) in Yunnan Province (Chu et al. 1989, Kang et al. 2009, He 2010), the Dong Jiang and Bei Jiang drainages (Guangdong Province) and drainages in Hainan Island and their river mouths (Chen et al. 1994), the Puyuangjiang (Yunnan Province), and from Guangxi (Rongxian, Yangsu, and Rongran), Guizhou (Wujiang, Jinpin, and Jianghe), Hunan (Yuangjiang River), Hubei (Qingjiang River) provinces.
- Chen, X., J.-H. Pan, Z. Liu and D. Liang 1991 Barbinae. p. 136-167. In J.-H. Pan, L. Zhong, C.-Y. Zheng, H.-L. Wu and J.-H. Liu (eds.) The freshwater fishes of Guangdong Province. Guangdong Science and Technology Press, Guangzhou. 589 p. (Ref. 33326)
- Kottelat, M. 2001 Fishes of Laos. WHT Publications Ltd., Colombo 5, Sri Lanka. 198 p. (Ref. 43281)
Habitat and Ecology
It is not known of the species undertakes migrations; migrations have not been observed in Lao PDR (M. Kottelat pers. comm. 2011), but may elsewhere in its range.
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- IUCN 2006 2006 IUCN red list of threatened species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded July 2006.
Freshwater, Brackish water
Salween River and Mekong River
- Biodiversity-Base Economy Development :BEDO (Thailand)
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2011). "Folifer brevifilis" in FishBase. August 2011 version.
|This Cypriniformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|