Localities documented in Tropicos sources
Russian Federation (Asia)
Note: This information is based on publications available through Tropicos and may not represent the entire distribution. Tropicos does not categorize distributions as native or non-native.
- Flora of China Editorial Committee. 2000. Fl. China 24: 1–431. Science Press & Missouri Botanical Garden Press, Beijing & St. Louis. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/1018516
Regularity: Regularly occurring
Global Range: Sillery, near Quebec City, QU (Scoggan, 1978).
Comments: Probably an abandoned garden (Scoggan, 1978).
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Lilium martagon
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Lilium martagon
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 4
Species With Barcodes: 1
National NatureServe Conservation Status
Rounded National Status Rank: NNA - Not Applicable
|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (December 2009)|
Lilium martagon (Martagon or Turk's cap lily) is a species of lily. It has a widespread native region extending from eastern France east through northern Asia to Mongolia and Korea (cold Temperatures). Several subspecies have been named. Horticulturally it is in Division IX (true species). It is stem-rooting, growing between 1 metre (3 ft 3 in) and 2 metres (6 ft 7 in) tall. The flower colour is typically a pink-purple, with dark spots, but is quite variable, extending from near white to near black. The flowers are scented. Numerous flowers are borne on each plant, and up to 50 can be found on vigorous plants. The green stems can be flushed with purple or red and the leaves are elliptic to inverse lanceolate, mostly in whorls, up to 16 centimetres (6.3 in) long and often lightly hairy underneath.
The name Turk's cap lily, also applied to a number of other species, comes from the characteristic reflexed shape of the petals. The specific epithet martagon is a Turkish word which also means turban or cap.
- The European Garden Flora, 1986.
- Christopher Brickell (1996). The RHS Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. London: Dorling Kindersly. p. 615. ISBN 0-7513-0436-0.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Lilium martagon". Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Lilium martagon 'Album'". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Andrew Mikolajski, The New Plant Library - Lilies, Lorenz Books, Anness Publishing Ltd, New York, 1998, p10, ISBN 1-85967-634-0
- Allen J Coombes (1985). The Hamlyn Guide to Plant Names. Reed International Books. p. 118. ISBN 0-600-57545-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lilium_martagon.|
|This Liliales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|