WikipediaRead full entry
The Phasmatidae contain some of the biggest insects currently in existence. The recently discovered Chan's Megastick (Phobaeticus chani) of the Clitumninae (sometimes placed in Phasmatinae) can grow to a total length of over half a meter (20 in); it is the longest living insect known at present.
The Lonchodinae were historically often placed in the Diapheromeridae, the other family of the Anareolatae. The Phasmatinae are often expanded to include the two tribes here separated as Clitumninae, while the Extatosomatinae are similarly included in the Tropidoderinae as a tribe.
The subfamilies are:
- Clitumninae (sometimes in Phasmatinae)
- Eurycanthinae – land lobsters
- Extatosomatinae (sometimes in Tropidoderinae)
- Lonchodinae (sometimes in Diapheromeridae)
- Phasmatinae (sometimes includes Clitumninae)
- Tropidoderinae (sometimes includes Extatosomatinae)
- Tribe Achriopterini (sometimes in Phasmatinae)
- Tribe Stephanacridini (sometimes in Phasmatinae)
- Genus Monoiognosis
- Genus Spathomorpha
- Balderson, J., Rentz, D.C.F. and Roach, A.M.E. (1998). in Houston, W.K.K. & Wells, A. (1998) (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Vol. 23. Melbourne: CSIRO Publishing, Australia. pp. 347-376.
- Bradley, J.C., and Galil, B.S. (1977). The taxonomic arrangement of the Phasmatodea with keys to the subfamilies and tribes. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, 79(2): 176-208.
- Gurney, A.B. (1947). Notes on some remarkable Australasian walkingsticks, including a synopsis of the Genus Extatosoma (Orthoptera: Phasmatidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 40(3): 373-396.
- Key, K.H.L. (1970). Phasmatodea (Stick-insects). pp. 394-404 in CSIRO (ed.) The Insects of Australia. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, Vol. 1.
- Kirby, W.F. (1904). A Synonymic Catalogue of Orthoptera. 8vo. Vol. 1. Orthoptera, Euplexoptera, Cursoria, et Gressoria (Forficulidæ, Hemimeridæ, Blattidæ, Mantidæ, Phasmidæ). London: Longmans & Co. x 501 pp.
- Latreille, P.A. (1817). Volume 3: Les Crustacés, Les Arachnides et Les Insectes, Cuvier, G.L.C.F.D. (1817). Le Régne Animal. Paris.
- Rentz, D.C.F (1996). Grasshopper Country, Chapter 16, Phasmatodea: Leaf and Stick Insects, pp. 244-257.