EOL invites the scientific community and general public to help build EOL by using interactive features (such as data contributions, collections, comments, etc.) subject to the following conditions:
- You are solely responsible for the content that you submit.
- Content you submit to EOL shall be available under CC‐BY – CC-BY allows users to copy, transmit and reuse the information, and to remix or adapt the information, so long as attribution regarding the source of the information is maintained – unless you clearly specify otherwise in writing and as part of the submission.
- You will not post any content that is outside the scope and purpose of the Encyclopedia of Life, partisan-political, contains personal attacks or expletives, or is otherwise abusive, threatening, unlawful, harassing, discriminatory, libelous, obscene, false, pornographic, or that infringes on the rights of any third party.
- You will only post content that is yours or for which you have received permission from the person or entity that owns the content and the related intellectual property rights.
- You will not insert your own or a third party’s advertising or promotional content into your posting.
- You understand that EOL assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the posting of your content or for any error, defamation, libel, omission, obscenity, danger or inaccuracy contained in any posted information or from any failure or delay in removing such content.
- You will not introduce any software viruses, worms or other programs designed to damage software, hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- You agree that you will not collect personally identifiable information about the users of this website or use such information for any purpose with the exception that you may use aggregate data which does not identify others for research purposes (e.g. to determine how citizen scientists interact with scientists and how EOL interacts with citizen scientists and scientists).
- You are not under the age of 13.
- You understand that from time to time EOL and EOL curators may monitor or review any postings on EOL for compliance with these conditions and as described in the Curation Standards.
EOL reserves the right to monitor content or information provided by website visitors in its sole discretion, to edit or remove any content that, in EOL’s judgment, does not comply with the foregoing rules. EOL is not responsible for any user-generated content that is posted on the EOL or for any failure or delay in removing such content.