Downloading and using the iPhone app
The advantage of the iPhone app is that it makes taking and uploading observations very easy and quick because you can make your observations and connect directly to your projects on one device. Here is how you can get started using the iPhone app:
- Download and install the iPhone app: Using your iPhone, go to the iTunes App store and search for iNaturalist. Click the button to install the app on your phone.
- Log-in to iNaturalist on the app: Open the app on your phone and either log into iNaturalist if you already have an account or sign up for one on the app.
- Access your project: a) tap the Projects tab; b) type in 'EOL' in the search bar; and, c) tap 'Search'. This will bring up all EOL-iNaturalist projects. Or, just type in the name of your EOL Collection in the search box to find your project; d) tap the name of the Project you want to use and this will load the EOL Collection or checklist onto your phone and you can start adding observations.
- Access an EOL Featured project: a) tap the Project button at the bottom of the page and then tap the Featured button just above that; b) choose the Collection you want and tap the Join button in the upper right hand corner; c) go back to the Project page and now tap the Joined button toward the bottom of the page. This will bring up the list of projects you have joined; d) tap the name of the Project you want to use and this will load the EOL Collection or checklist onto your phone and you can start adding observations.
- Add an observation: Click the Add Observation button and enter your observation information for your selected project. Tap the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Upload your observations: Once you have made your observations, tap the Sync Observations button at the bottom of your list. This will upload your observations to iNaturalist.
- View your observations: Soon after you sync your observations you will be able to see them on the project map on your iPhone.