About the Alexandrium Genus
- >28 species have been described
- This genus is distributed globally
- Some species produce toxins, some do not
- Relatively young lineage among dinoflagellates (77 million years before present; A. tamarense/fundyense complex arose around 23-45MYBP)
- Distinction of documented species: difficult
- Uwe John, Robert A. Fensome, and Linda K. Medlin 2003. The Application of a Molecular Clock Based on Molecular Sequences and the Fossil Record to Explain Biogeographic Distributions Within the Alexandrium tamarense "Species Complex" (Dinophyceae). Mol. Biol. Evol. 20(7):1015-1027.
No one has provided updates yet.